Saturday, December 24, 2011

We Believe

Here in the Shillig house, we believe.
We believe in love. In forgiveness. In teaching. In growing and learning.

We believe in learning each others' love language and working to find middle ground.

We believe that the sole purpose for this life is to live righteously and be worthy to live with our Father in Heaven, along with this family we love, together after this life.

We believe in paying it forward, in being worthy of the many, many blessings we are so graciously given. So many in fact, we just don't have enough room to receive them all.

We believe that for a little family, we are abundantly blessed.I can't tell you how many times this year I've heard the phrase, "I'm sorry. Christmas this year isn't going to be much". It breaks my heart to think someone I love is worried about that. Know this, my friends- WE WANT FOR NOTHING!

Every day and night Chase and I marvel at how much we've been given. I worry because in my mind, there is always the thought: If our life is this good, something bad is bound to happen. For my perceptive husband, it's the opposite. To him it's more: What can we do to bless the lives of others?

Do you see why I love him so much more than I can express?

That's why, this year, I feel so much more joy than I think I have in years past. I had made a few small gifts for Kurt and made 90% of the gifts I gave people. Not only is it my passion, but it graciously kept me out of the stores, out of the craziness and constantly reminded me of how lucky I am to have them in my life as I sewed, drew, and created small tokens of my affection. I knew Kurt didn't need much. He's barely two and really just loves the lights, the music and an occasional present just for him. It was all we needed just to see him open a present and have something for his very own.

My mom, on the other hand, had other ideas. In 12 short hours she found a screaming deal on this little jewel
as well as an activity cube for the twins (I had simply wrapped each one a toothbrush and figured it'd take them all morning just playing with the paper). What would we do without her? I feel like she constantly gives. I need to adopt the philosophy of my husband now and start to live by blessing the lives of others to repay her for her kindness.

I wish this feeling could last all year.
For me, it lasts a lot longer than just 24 hours.
I feel the magic of Christmas every time I see my kids smile. I feel it when my husband holds my hand. When Kurt hugs and kisses the twins. When he folds his arms and closes his eyes during prayers. When he points to the temple and says, "Neat-Temple!". I feel it when I read my patriarchal blessing and realize just how well the Lord has mapped out my life. I feel it when we drive up the hill and Kurt says, "Turt-Home. Mama-Home. Dadda-Home. Bubba, Siddy-Home".

I know whenever I start missing the magical feeling of Christmas, I'll simply see these moments in my every day life. I believe that's what it's all about.

When I say, "Merry Christmas" I'm really saying Thanks for being a part of my life. Thank you for making it magical and thank you for helping me believe.

Merry, Merry Christmas!

No comments: