Saturday, May 3, 2008

Did I Tell You?

Did I ever tell you just how much I love my husband? I know I sound like a broken record, but it's one I never get tired of. This week my school had yet another fund raiser and I'm beginning to feel like I have more than just one job. One takes me from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm wrestling 30 ten and eleven year olds, while the other one only begins when they go home.
Funny story...Friday after school (after a full day of P.E. testing for the 5th grade, student store, student council and so much more), my little scholars zoomed out of my room and out the gates. I'm amazed at how quickly my room can go from utter chaos to simply silent in 5.2 seconds flat. When those busy bodies walk out my door, I give in to the temptation to just sit (for the first time all day it feels like!) and listen to the sound of silence.
As I was sitting at my desk, basking in the wonderful sound of nothing but the air conditioner humming, I heard a quick rap on my door. When it opened, I noticed a student returning to retrieve his book (lucky for me he can't stop reading and would virtually die if he were to forget a book at school over the weekend. Now if I could only get him to put the book down while we're doing math my life would be great). He smiled, went to his desk to get the book and then- he stopped.

He tilted his head a bit as if he were listening for something. Then with a puzzled look on his face he asked, "Mrs. Shillig, why is it so quiet in here? Don't you have a radio or an iPod or something to listen to?" Oh the innocent. So sweet. I lovingly replied, "Well, Braxton my dear, I do have all of those things. I also have very few moments in the day when it is just peaceful and quiet and I can actually hear my own thoughts in my head." He smiled a small, confused grin, shrugged and said, "Huh. Oh well. I guess I'll see you on Monday. Have fun...being alone." As he shut the door, I laughed to myself and thought, if only you knew!

Now back to my husband.

Wednesday, in between my science committee meeting, and visiting teaching I had about 3 seconds to spare at our school fund raiser (this I could make time for. It was after all at Cold Stone Creamery). I stood inside, preparing for a mad rush of kids when I saw my husband walking up and in his arms was a bouquet of flowers. Most of the girls there (the older, married ones anyway) gagged. Some snorted something that sounded like, "newlyweds" while others only giggled. I on the other hand basked in the fact that my husband is thoughtful and sweet.
On Valentine's day my kids brought me way too much chocolate. It was always a holiday I dreaded. After all, for all of my single adult life I affectionately called it, "Single Awareness Day". Now, however, it has a whole new meaning to me. Besides the fact that it is the day I donate boxes of candy and chocolates to the teachers' lounge, it's also a day that I reflect on the choice I made to marry Chase. Now, he is infamous for bringing me flowers; twice at school! That's just the kind of guy he is.
On this particular day however, he had that same week brought home two different (yes, two!) bouquets of flowers for no reason at all. So when Valentine's Day came, I was content to have my chocolate from my students, my hand picked roses from one or two kids and my beautiful flowers at home.
Chase had a different idea. He sent me the most beautiful bouquet of Stargazer Lillies I have ever seen. It was huge! I was a little taken aback when I walked in (it just so happened that my wonderful sister-in-law was stopping by to join in our Valentine festivities and got to be the one to bing them out to my class).
I love his thoughtfulness, his humor and just him. My kids loved that on the card it read, "To Mrs. Shillig Love, Chase and Chancho (our dog)". They thought that was hilarious. Anyway, sorry if you are one of the select few who 'gag' as I express my feelings for my thoughtful husband, but I just wanted you to know.
Until next time!
Love, J'me

No comments: