I can't believe it! A milestone that I was desperately trying to avoid came creeping up on me without warning (well, ok maybe there was a little warning). This weekend, though not my birthday weekend, we celebrated my 30th birthday.
For weeks Joni had been planning a surprise for me. Each time I brought it up and asked where we were going, she'd come back with a reply like, "Do you own any galoshes?" or, "Your passport is currently updated, right?" or my personal favorite, "You are up to date on your tetanus shots aren't you?". Needless to say, the possibilities were running wild in my brain.
On Friday morning, as I was getting ready for our "Joni and J'me Surprise Extravaganza", Joni called to say she was at the door. I went to open it and as she stepped in began talking excitedly about our upcoming adventures to I-Don't-Know-Where. At that exact moment my door began to open on it's own and I will tell you that I began to scream like a 12 year old at a Jonas Brothers concert.
Through the door walked our former college roommate and best-est friend Becky. I saw her, I screamed, she screamed, Joni screamed (I told you, it was just like a JB concert). After we got the screaming out of the way, we were off on our great adventure.
We spent the weekend shopping, going to lunch, going to movies, seeing Les Miserables at the Hollywood Bowl, going to get ice cream (boy it is just like the good ol' days, isn't it?) What fun we had! Those two girls make me so happy I could cry (ok so truth be told I did cry quite a bit that weekend. It was all just so emotional!).
As were were shopping on Sat. I told the girls I wasn't feeling well. I tried to stick it out but failed miserably. How sweet are they that without hesitation they turned right back around, drove right to the Urgent Care and never left my side. In the waiting room they made me laugh, we told jokes and just wasted time together. I tried to get them to go shopping but nothing seemed to make them budge. Somehow it just made me love them more.
I was glad I went (I received some much needed drugs and ran some tests that made me feel like maybe I wasn't going mad and something was truly wrong). We continued our great weekend extravaganza and headed for my next big surprise- Palm Springs!
We shopped there (talk about amazing outlet malls!) and I felt strangely at ease. They were great to slow down when I felt dizzy and kept me laughing when I felt nauseated. I'm so grateful to them and because of them I walked away that weekend with the Mother Load! Out of miles of mall, I basically hit my three favorite stores (GAP, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor) and walked away with all of this...
It was like having my own personal shoppers! (oh and of course they got stuff as well). When we arrived back at the hotel, I laid it all out on the bed and began creating multiple outfits (cause that's just the kind of girl I am!). I was amazed to count 2 skirts, 11 shirts, 2 jackets, 1 bolero jacket, 3 necklaces, 2 pairs of pants, 2 gaucho pants, and 2 ties for my hubby. Phew!
All in all, it was the best beginning of a birthday I have ever had! Even though I felt like I was teetering on the edge of life and death, they made every moment enjoyable. Thank you girls!
Love,
Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment