Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Well, I knew this day would come. The day I turned the big 3-0. I guess it isn't so bad. The day before however; that's a different story.

On Tuesday, the day before my birthday, was a tough day for me. Some of you may have read in my past entry that I haven't been feeling well. That my friends, is an understatement. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I had been in for several tests at the doctors and still hadn't found anything. That means there was no real reason for me to slow down or take it easy. If nothing was wrong it must all be in my head, right?

Well, after a long day of school, meetings and more meetings I was exhausted. I finished at the school at 6:00, had less than an hour to get groceries, back to my house and then over to the church for welfare and BYC meetings. Then it was home to put away the groceries (forgoing anything that had to be refrigerated) and prep dinner for the next day (as a new Young Women's Presidency, I thought it would be fun to have a progressive dinner at our homes so the girls could get to know us). So it was a good idea two weeks ago.

That night after hours of meetings, I was virtually on the edge. I drove home on the brink of tears thinking, "I just have to get through this week. Then I'll just have to get through next week. Everyone does it. They make it through; so can I." I didn't seem so convinced however.

When I walked in the door, exhausted and hurting, at first I couldn't see anything. It took my eyes a bit to adjust. There, in the middle of an immaculately cleaned living room, sat my beautiful husband in a room full of beautiful flowers, with the sometimes-beautiful dog at his side. At the sight of this (truly this hadn't crossed my mind in the least bit! I only half remembered my birthday was within 12 short little hours) I broke into tears.

Chase had the lights off, multiple candles lit, flowers and presents galore.

Chase (poor thing) didn't know what to do first. He began singing Happy Birthday. I just stood there with the door open and my jaw dropped to the floor.

Besides the large gift (with two small gifts) on the coffee table, he also had the place lined with flowers. It smelled beautiful! Even Chauncho was there and sitting so prim and proper.

It took me a second to realize that not only had he taken the time to get multiple vases of flowers, light multiple flowers, he had also cleaned and vacuumed, (maybe even dusted) every bit of the house. What a guy! I'm not sure what brought me to tears first; the surprise or the clean house.

What a sweet, thoughtful and caring husband I have! It's a horrible picture of me. You can tell that I felt like I was at death's door and had been crying but I was so happy (despite the sickness).
















He is so incredibly thoughtful. Besides the flowers, the candles, and the cleaning he also surprised me with a Bluetooth headset (I've been afraid to call him when I'm in the car due to the new "Hands Free" law and he makes fun of me. The biggest surprise was this beautiful cherry wood jewelry box. It's larger than life (darn, it looks like I'll just have to fill it up) with multiple compartments. I had a Lia Sophia jewelry party last year (and having another one again this month!) and got a ton of free jewelry (plus some darling pieces at great prices!). Since then my poor jewelry boxes are overflowing. I didn't even mention that I'd like a larger one. He just saw the need. Boy do I love him!

The next day (my actual birthday) was great! My students found out and they (along with my wonderful room parents) surprised me with a cake and a quick party. We played the game of "Who is older?" Did you know I am older than Twinkies but younger than the VCR? Neither did I. What a fun game.

That night to top it all off, we had a Mint Canyon Young Women Progressive Dinner. I can't tell you enough how much I adore those girls and my counselors. I look at them everyday and wonder why in the world am I in this position? I'm so glad I am because I learn so much from them all.

We started the night with appetizers and an M &M game at Jamie's home, then to my place for "Cafe Rio Salad" complete with homemade lime salsa (thank you Jenny!) and homemade Tamatillo Dressing (thank you Angie!). Yummy!! After that, we went to Rachel's home and for dessert she had baked a cake for my birthday. Good thing there were a ton of girls there to help me blow out oh-so-many candles! She is the best. She even had the good icing; the kind with all the colored dots! We then played a water game to get to know her better. Somehow I walked away dry as a socket (could it be because I was hiding behind the girls?) Either way it was a wonderful day followed by an even more wonderful night (I apologize for not having any photos. In total unlike me fashion, I refused to have my camera with me that night. I was having a horrible episode of nausea and back pain. I didn't want to catalog that for future generations). I can tell that this is the start of a great year!

Until next time,
Love, Me.

No comments: