It's true. Who knew it.First off:
My husband is truly one in a million. I waited 27 years for the likes of him and he was well worth every second. Throughout this whole health ordeal he has been a lifesaver. I have never had anything even remotely scary health wise until now. I know it isn't a huge thing, but since June it has literally preceded my every thought and deed. It is down right depressing to think that it won't stop any time soon. That, though was the last post. I've set a new goal that no matter what happens, I'll laugh through it and make the best of it.
Chase has gone to multiple doctor visits, picked up countless prescriptions, has been my designated driver, my errand boy, and even the one who holds my hair back when I'm sick. He has been there for every illness, every milestone and every countless minute that has ticked by. One day while doing yet another blood test, the nurse, completely enamored by him, presented him with a sticker that read: "I'm a Hero. Hug me, I was brave today". He wore it proudly. How can I thank him for encouraging me to smile and somehow making time ease by?
All of this was going through my head as we returned from seeing the doctor last Wednesday. I was depressed at the latest development (if you can call it that) as noted in my last entry. When we got home it was almost comical how things started to quickly fall apart. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong and I quickly found myself ready and willing to pull my hair out. Here we were smack-dab in the middle of what would be our only break for many months and we had to cut it short just to learn the depressing diagnosis of an ailment I am ready to be free of.It didn't take long for Chase to come up with a solution. Literally, within minutes he was busy making plans. I heard bits and pieces and was surprised even to learn he had called a para gliding school to see about lessons (I know you may think I'm crazy but I would love that!). As I started to unpack our suitcase from our failed trip to see our family, he came in and changed my plans. Instead of unpacking, he put me in charge of packing it right back up as we were headed out.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he had managed to book a beautiful romantic cottage about a block from the beach in Santa Barbara. He had thought about Catalina, Yellowstone and San Fransisco (wow he works fast) but had decided on Santa Barbara because 1-it would be less work for me and 2-"Santa Barbara is for lovers, you know". Eat your heart out Virginia.Within minutes we were off! Traveling up the PCH watching the sun go down. Suddenly life was easy to handle again. Our cottage was beautiful! It was tucked away and serene. I get chilly in the evenings and was ecstatic to see a fireplace (how in the world did I survive Canada again?). We took full advantage of the flat screen tv, the outdoor patio with a view of the ocean, the heavenly bed and even the jaccuzzi jet tub.
The next day we walked the pier, partook of Fisherman's Wharf, and enjoyed the gorgeous weather. Chase ventured out into the ocean "just for fun" while I stayed on dry land.
We ate at a quaint little fish restaurant on the pier and enjoyed jumbo king prawn (sorry all of you fish lovers. They were yummy!).In the afternoon, Chase found a map and took me to the Santa Barbara Scrapbook Company. What a guy! I was set. Anything from that point would just be a bonus. We then traveled a bit further to Carpinteria so he could fly fish without too much hassle. It was so great to watch him. He has such an ease about him when he is fishing that I hate to disturb him. He stood knee deep in the ice cold water as I sat on the warm beach in awe.
He fished for hours while I...well I just simply enjoyed nothing to do and for the first time in as long as I can remember, I felt my whole body relax. I read, played Soduku (thanks Kim and Sara for the books!), rocked out to my iPod and watched the scenery. When he was done, we sat together and watched the sun go down. I thought to myself, "When the entire world is falling apart, I will still manage to love him". He is the best part about me.So, for those of you wondering where you can go to feel the romance in the air, Santa Barbara worked for me.


Until next time...Love, Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment