Independence"... [is] middle-class blasphemy.
We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth.
~G.B. Shaw, Pygmalion, 1912
~G.B. Shaw, Pygmalion, 1912
Happy Independence Day!
I am immensely proud of my country, my beliefs, and most importantly, my family. As we celebrated our nation's birth and liberty, I thought a lot about the blessings my family receives because of the sacrifices of others.
I think of my sister and my mom. The sacrifices they make to make sure my kids are entertained, held and loved, and to make sure I get a break every now and again.
I think of my in-laws who treat me like I've been a part of the family from day 1. They share advice, provide help, and do it without a word of complaint (though they have plenty they could complain about). Mostly I am so grateful to them for the gentleman they raised and the father my husband has turned out to be because of their examples.
I think of Chase and the sacrifices he makes working hard everyday to provide for us a home, food, protection, and most importantly, love.
I think of my friends who ask how I'm doing, check up on me through facebook, texts, or phone calls. Their kindness puts a smile on my face and lifts the heavy load from my shoulders, if only for a moment.
I think of my neighbors and friends in my ward who are so keenly aware of peoples' circumstances and needs that they quickly feel like an extension of your own family.
I think of those in occupations and volunteer positions that gladly put their lives on the line and say goodbye to sleep, hobbies and sometimes sanity to provide protection and service to perfect strangers. Thank you to our military, our police and firefighters, teachers, nurses, doctors and the sweet older ladies who come into the nursery (for me it was watching them 2 weeks in the NICU) just to hold, rock and sing to our babies in need.
How do we ever say thank you?
What do we do to show you we appreciate it?
For one, we let off fireworks.
Why?
Well, to get to see a face like this, of course!
I think of my sister and my mom. The sacrifices they make to make sure my kids are entertained, held and loved, and to make sure I get a break every now and again.
I think of my in-laws who treat me like I've been a part of the family from day 1. They share advice, provide help, and do it without a word of complaint (though they have plenty they could complain about). Mostly I am so grateful to them for the gentleman they raised and the father my husband has turned out to be because of their examples.
I think of Chase and the sacrifices he makes working hard everyday to provide for us a home, food, protection, and most importantly, love.
I think of my friends who ask how I'm doing, check up on me through facebook, texts, or phone calls. Their kindness puts a smile on my face and lifts the heavy load from my shoulders, if only for a moment.
I think of my neighbors and friends in my ward who are so keenly aware of peoples' circumstances and needs that they quickly feel like an extension of your own family.
I think of those in occupations and volunteer positions that gladly put their lives on the line and say goodbye to sleep, hobbies and sometimes sanity to provide protection and service to perfect strangers. Thank you to our military, our police and firefighters, teachers, nurses, doctors and the sweet older ladies who come into the nursery (for me it was watching them 2 weeks in the NICU) just to hold, rock and sing to our babies in need.
How do we ever say thank you?
What do we do to show you we appreciate it?
For one, we let off fireworks.
Why?
Well, to get to see a face like this, of course!
This was Kurt's first official Independence day. Last summer we were living in the Yukon, and as the world out there is much simpler and at times feels like there is no one else on earth. These were not his first fireworks, though I don't think he even remembers them.
This year we mostly set off fireworks in front of the house. Jenn and John and the boys came over and Kurt was most definitely the center of attention (just the way he prefers it, actually).
I wish everyday could be independence day - and yet, I'm glad it's not because I sure couldn't do it all by myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment