Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So Handsome

These pictures may have been taken a few weeks ago, but I just can't get over how utterly handsome this young man is(even with a big bruise right in the middle of his forehead).
He has such an old soul. He's soulful, he's deep. He's tender and fun loving. He's been teething recently and it's hard to take when someone who is usually so happy is miserable. Last week in Relief Society, I laid him on my lap with a cold paper towel over his head. He'd had a slight fever for days and you could just tell how miserable he was. As he was just laying there nice and still, I was rubbing his belly and trying to cool him down. All of a sudden he started to giggle. Not like giggle from a tickle, but like I just told a joke kind of giggle. He was looking over my shoulder at the wall and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what he was laughing at. That is so like him to giggle while he's miserable. It made my heart smile and once again I feel so strongly the impression I had when he was in the NICU.

I remember driving to the hospital every 3 hours to nurse the babies. I was still sore, tired and wondering when I was ever going to get to take them home. As I was rocking and nursing Vance, this overwhelming feeling came over me. I heard a very soft yet strong voice say very clearly, "Cherish him. Be so grateful you have him". At the time I felt a little ashamed that I didn't get that strong impression about each one of my precious babies. But as time progresses, I am constantly reminded of that .
I know I've said it before, but this guy is my "Buy one, get one free". I knew Ava was coming before I even was certain I was pregnant. I knew she was on her way and I knew she'd be coming soon. When we went to the ultrasound and they confirmed she was there, I settled in to that thought quite comfortably. So weeks later, when the doctor told me there were TWO babies baking in my belly and that the other was a boy, it was like I had won the lottery...and then won it again. I just kept thinking how special this little boy was that the Lord in his infinite wisdom needed him to join our crew.

Maybe it's because my happy little boy is returning after battling with painful teeth the last little while. Maybe it's because we're quickly approaching the babies' FIRST YEAR birthday that's got me so reminiscent. Either way, I am sure happy to have this little bundle of joy in my life. Wouldn't you be too?

No comments: