Look at us! We're on the road again!
Our little homeschooling family is starting to feel more like a "road schooling family".
We are on our way back up to Idaho, this time to participate in the primitive outdoor survival camp, Rabbitstick. This is only my second time coming, with this being the first large scale camp.
I don't know if I expected to enjoy it as much as I did. It took me a few days to relax and let the kids run around freely without shoes or coats and by the end I learned to just let go and watch where the world took them. Chase was asked to run the Kids Kamp for the 4-8 year olds and he graciously agreed to take Grant as well so my week was all about classes and learning and enjoying.
What good that did for my soul! I met so many wonderful people, and even reunited with an old friend. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much the children gained and learned from that week and that, I think is the greatest take away from the whole adventure.
So here are a few of my favorite things from our week in the mountains at the primitive gathering of Rabbitstick:
1. The Learning and Teaching
I expected to learn a lot from the classes I took like my wool class (we took wool straight from the sheep and learned to wash and clean it, process it, even dye it with elements from nature and then turn it into something tangible. I made a wool hat from start to finish), wilderness first aid, leather work, conveyer belt shoes and so on. What I was pleasantly surprised to find out, however was the amount of teaching that went on outside of the classes.
Everyone there was so full of knowledge that you couldn't help but learn from them. The adults taught the children and at times the children taught the adults. I was leaving one class and as I went to thank the instructor for sharing so much of his time and knowledge with us he asked, "Now what do you have to share with me?" I was dumfounded. I didn't have any skills to offer. We got to talking more and I mentioned our homeschooling family and the joys of learning on the go. I got down to the nitty gritty and ended up bearing my testimony not only of the love I have for homeschooling, but also the love I have for God. He smiled, hugged me and said, "And that is what you have taught me."
2. The Friendships the Kids Have Made
It always amazes me at how quickly children can make friends. This week was no exception. Every child had a friend. And a good friend at that! They played together, learned with each other and looked out for each other in many ways. We have friends and pen pals for life!
3. Fun for Everyone
I loved how family friendly this entire week was. Besides the classes for each individual person, the camp was like one big family. We ended the week with a large bonfire and mask night. Some of the adults painted faces, while others made or brought their own masks. Since Chase was in charge of the Kids Kamp, he made the most amazing mask for mask night and let the kids out (all with homemade drums and chanting) to start the party off.
4. The Lessons They Learned
I loved how supportive and considerate everyone there was. Kurt desperately wanted to earn $10 to buy a striker bracelet for him and his friend, David. Our friend Tracy Wilson (you might know her from the 2nd season of the survivalist show, Alone) was selling them for $5 and neither boy had any money. On the 4th night the camp has a barter fair to buy or sell your handmade items.
Kurt was so excited to earn the money he needed that he went down to the river and collected sea shells. He created a sign, and then sat and waited. I hung back waiting to see how it played out (better he learn from experience than from me just telling him). I was all prepared to be there to console him when id didn't go the way he wanted.
What happened next surprised and affected me.
As people passed by his station, he warmly asked, "Would you like to buy a sea shell?" Some politely smiled as they passed, and some were nice enough to stop and give a few kind glances, and still some donated a $1 or coins from their purse.
After a few discouraging minutes, an older gentleman came by. When Kurt asked if he'd like to buy one the man asked why he wanted to sell them and when he told them about the strikers the man said, "Tell people that. Let them know why you are trying to sell."
That was it! Only a few minutes later Kurt was running back to camp with 2 strikers in hand joyously looking for David to give him his half.
5. The Peace I Felt There
On our way home I came across this talk that resonated with me. It sums up my experience perfectly. Being outside. Being part of something larger, with the noises of phones and life not getting in the way. Out there the spirit is tangible. It's the way I feel when I'm with my family. And I'm extremely blessed because of it.

















No comments:
Post a Comment