Thursday, December 28, 2017

Merry {sick} Christmas, 2017

Oh boy.  To say we've been hit by a bug would be a massive understatement!
This Christmas season has lined us up, knocked us over, and shot  us down.

It started with me (sorry 'bout that!) and my sad little cough that just didn't go away.  Fast forward 2 weeks and that little cough has turned into full blown bronchitis.  And if that wasn't enough, we added this weird flu bug with soaring high temperatures and aching body with chills comes out of nowhere and slaps you silly.

Luckily for me, my husband is 1 in a million and there were times I'd open my eyes from my sad sorry state to see him in the kitchen making rolls and home made soup, helping kids with homework and cleaning the floors.  You'd think I was exaggerating- but I'm not!

I felt like a horrible host when family started to arrive and I couldn't even stand up to clean my bathrooms.  My mother-in-law was in full control as she walked in and almost immediately started cleaning.  If I could have held my head up I would have tried to stop her.  Well, let's be honest.  Probably not.



So those few days that are normally filled with traditions, sweets and lots of laughter are a bit of a blur for me.  I remember on Christmas Eve night when Chase was beginning to get the chills (oh no!) and the full blown temperature, I told him I needed a button to push to just pause the time and let us do Christmas in a few days.  It would mean so much more!

Christmas Eve we opened pajamas and books.  It was extra fun this year with cousins and in-laws (mainly because I don't think I could have even read a sentence in my state), but we all put on our best smiles and turned it on for the kids.






Even the kids, with feverish bodies still enjoyed themselves and though it wasn't as active and packed as our normal Christmas Eve traditions, it was done- and we were pooped!
















Christmas night Chase's fever got up to 105 and between him tossing and turning and me coughing and struggling to breathe, we were a sight for sore eyes.  We desperately needed Santa to bring us a do-over!

That morning though, as the kids waited on the stairs (as-per tradition), we picked ourselves up and put on our happy faces.  Once again, I was so glad to have so many people around to help and to make the day run smoother.























Merry Christmas, 2017!  
From the {Very Sick} Shilligs




No comments: