I have however implemented a few things that she offers (like the "one thing" principle and her writing strategies for young students) and they have proved very helpful and divine. So when I heard of her "poetry tea parties" I knew I had to give it a go.
Now, when I first introduced the idea I thought for sure at least some of the boys would hem and haw. I thought I'd have to convince them of the idea and would get them there primarily with the drinks and treats. On the contrary- they didn't mind at all and even were (dare I say) excited!
We picked our favorite poetry books, grabbed some snacks (and our antique tea set of course!) and got ready. It was so nice outside, we decided at the last minute to take it out back and I'm so glad we did! The weather was beautiful and the kids loved that we were able to watch the yellow finch birds come and perch on the feeders while we read. It was bright so we grabbed our sunglasses and settled in.
I was all set and ready to read to them and encourage them to give this a try, but I found myself having to stop them from reading after a while to get it started. I love that!
Reading is a big part of our lives and an even bigger part of our homeschool. I'm excited to find something that encourages us to broaden our horizons and try something new. I look forward to many years and many tea parties throughout them.
No comments:
Post a Comment