I won't tell you what birthday I had coming up this summer- but it was a BIG one!
Joni and I have been planning for years something fun to do on our big birthdays and we always said we'd go on a cruise together- sans kids.
As life got busy and kids kept coming, we soon realized that would probably be more of a pipe dream than an actual possibility. One afternoon as I was working in the kitchen and Chase was working at his desk, he quietly (but persistently) asked if I'd go get a paper out of the printer for him. I wasn't in the best mood and I can't say I went happily, but when I got there I saw a stack of papers coming out of the printer with my name and that of my bestest-friend, Joni. I was confused. As I picked them up, I noticed that it was an itinerary for a week long cruise to Mexico.
As life got busy and kids kept coming, we soon realized that would probably be more of a pipe dream than an actual possibility. One afternoon as I was working in the kitchen and Chase was working at his desk, he quietly (but persistently) asked if I'd go get a paper out of the printer for him. I wasn't in the best mood and I can't say I went happily, but when I got there I saw a stack of papers coming out of the printer with my name and that of my bestest-friend, Joni. I was confused. As I picked them up, I noticed that it was an itinerary for a week long cruise to Mexico.
I was so confused. After he cleared up the confusion (I would NOT in fact be going on the camping trip with all of the cousins this year- but that Joni and I would be whisked away to white sandy beaches and mocktails in our hands)- I immediately called her and we screamed for a good 10 minutes over the phone.
How had they planned this and kept it a secret from me for so long?! It makes me a little worried about just how good they are at keeping things from me. It was worth it though!
There's nothing like being with your best friend with no agenda and no kids- (though we had to admit we missed them terribly) and no responsibility.
The food was amazing.
The sites were fun to see.
As we put our feet in the sand, we went over all of the beaches we had ever been to together. From Hawaii, to California, to Florida and the Cayman Islands and even the fountain at Piccadilly Square in London and France. But somehow THIS would be my favorite out of them all. Because it meant that after all these years, we still travel the world together.
We met some great friends (some Joni wasn't a fan of) and it reminded me of so many years and all of the many people we've met on our many travels. They may not remember us, but they have all made a lasting impression on our lives (even the cold-blooded ones!)
It was a great week. We ate far more than we should have, laughed harder than we have in a long time and renewed our devotion to travel together more often. Maybe even next time with husbands!
It looks like I'll just have to go again just to bring them all back something fun!
















No comments:
Post a Comment