Friday, September 5, 2008

Finally!

This was sent out as a mass email to most of you to let you know what has been going on. If you've already received this, feel free to skip this entry.

Well, after 3 months, numerous doctor visits, tests and frustration, I have an answer!

After school yesterday (probably my worst day yet as far as pain), I couldn't take it anymore and checked myself into the Emergency Room. They asked about the pain and I had no problem telling them it was 10/10! They zoomed me in and quickly started testing.

Six hours into the ordeal, the morphine started to kick in and I was happy to oblige any thing they asked. At 1:00 am they took me in to get a CAT scan. While I was entering, an older gentleman in his 50s was coming in screaming and crying like he was dying. My one thought was, well, at least I'm not that guy. Turns out he was currently passing a 4mm kidney stone and in the worst pain of his life.

After the CAT scan, I went back to the room and waited for the news. I was so afraid they were going to come back and say (once again) that the tests were negative and send me home again (at least this time I got a little morphine out of the deal).

When the doctor returned, his eyes were big and wide and I could tell that even he was stunned. He sat down and explained to my husband and I that he was blown away. He started off by telling me that I in fact did have a kidney stone (yes, that was the first original test done that came out negative). The amazing part was that 1-I have had it since June, 2-it is over 10 1/2 mm in size!

At that news my jaw dropped and I heard my husband say, "Atta girl! Go big or go home!" A lot of help he is. It turns out that women don't normally get kidney stones and for good reason as their urethra is smaller than a man's.

Here's the problem: the stone is in the kidney and thankfully hasn't begun to pass yet (doctors instructions are that I am to stay as inactive as possible to keep it from doing so). If it started to, the urethra is only 4mm in size and would be virtually impossible to do so. My options are to either get it broken up into tiny pieces and then have to pass all of those tiny pieces (not my idea of fun!) or surgically remove the entire stone before it has time to enter into the urethra (I vote yes!).

So, here I am waiting to see the urologist as well as the endoscopy. The good news is that after 3 months of pain and frustration, I have an answer. Also, I now have a fan or two at the ER. The man passing the kidney stone told me I was his hero. Not much of a consolation, but I'll take it!

Thank you to everyone at work, church and at home that has gone out of their way to see that I'm taken care of. I truly feel blessed to be surrounded by such caring people. I will keep you updated as I venture out on this journey, looking forward to the day when I feel "normal".

No comments: