I've found my second family here. The people. The staff. The students. Together, they make my own little Utopia. This year has been- eventful. A couple of months ago, Judy (my principal), Julie (an amazing fellow teacher), and Pam (a PTA parent) came to congratulate me that my teacher peers and the PTA nominated me to receive the PTA Founder's Day Award.
It's an award that singles out a teacher and parent volunteers who give their time and their talents to making school such a great experience for our kids. I was astounded. It was a humbling experience. I have really felt the pressure this year as I've taken over dear Kim's place as the 5th grade team leader, participated in Leadership for our school, and ran the science department for our grade level. It's been exhausting work, but that day it made it all worth it. Just to know someone noticed.
The day of the assembly was also the day of our 5th grade Colonial Field Trip (more on that later). When I realized the date for the breakfast and awards assembly and the trip were all on the same day, it hit me. I (along with my class and Wendy's) was dressing up in our colonial gear for our trip back in time. That meant I was accepting my award dressed- yep- as a Founder. I just had to keep telling myself, "It's for the kids. The torture, the humiliation...it's all for them." So I hid my embarrassment (in a huge hoop skirt), put on a smile and accepted the award.
Despite my horror and embarrassment, it turned out ok. The kids (mine especially) screamed as I approached the podium and once again I thought to myself, "It's all for you." As I was accepting my plaque and pin, Judy (my principal) read an excerpt from a letter one of my dear friends, Ruthie (a long time friend in and out of school) wrote about me. It made me laugh, it made me cry. The award would've been enough. This on top of it was too sweet.
"Jamie Shillig has a way of looking at situations and thinking, "Oh that's easy" or "I can do that!" She has a quick wit, a sparkle in her eye and finds life funny. All of her ideas, projects and lessons, whether at home, school, or church are done with creativity, care, detail and perfection. She has the confidence and skills to go with it."
"She stays up late, and spends her weekends planning classroom lessons and activities that the kids love. She thinks of others before herself, keeping all of her students in mind. She is keenly aware of their needs and feelings. She knows how to motivate children and adults, and her happy, optimistic attitude is infectious. She is easy to laugh with, talk with, be around, and cry with too."
"Not only does she act like a lady, but she can go out into the woods and hunt, hike, camp and dirt bike like the men. She is a Utah girl at heart, with California running through her veins. She is smart, a genius with technology, current, and beautiful. She is a tremendous asset to our staff at Sulphur Springs and we are so happy to have her here."
"She stays up late, and spends her weekends planning classroom lessons and activities that the kids love. She thinks of others before herself, keeping all of her students in mind. She is keenly aware of their needs and feelings. She knows how to motivate children and adults, and her happy, optimistic attitude is infectious. She is easy to laugh with, talk with, be around, and cry with too."
"Not only does she act like a lady, but she can go out into the woods and hunt, hike, camp and dirt bike like the men. She is a Utah girl at heart, with California running through her veins. She is smart, a genius with technology, current, and beautiful. She is a tremendous asset to our staff at Sulphur Springs and we are so happy to have her here."
Geez, it's nice to have a good friendwho knows how to make you look good!
Thanks Ruthie, I'll totally pay you later!
Right after I received my award, we were off!
Earlier that year Wendy (my fellow- 5th grade teacher) and I put in for a once in a lifetime experience at the Ronald Reagan Library. For three days only they were having a colonial simulation complete with interpreters (people who portrayed life back then), a military camp, games and crafts.
We were heartbroken when the news came that due to budget cuts, there would be no more field trips this year (and probably next). We couldn't let it go just like that however! Wendy went to everyone she knew and finally the library themselves graciously extended a "scholarship" which paid for our bus (squeezing as many kids as we could on that one bus!) and our transportation there.
We of course were so grateful and asked if there was anything we could do to repay them. Their response was that they'd really like us to dress up and they'd put our pictures in their portfolio, hoping again to get the funding needed to have this great experience again.
We gratefully obliged. The students were adorable! Boys in their tri-cornered caps and wigs; girls with their mob caps and bonnets. It simply was perfect. I was also lucky enough to have my sister-in-law Shay come along and take pictures of our experience so that we were able to concentrate on the fun of it all!
Here are just a few of my favorites from that day:




What fun it was watching history come alive for them and I found myself hoping that we could come back every year- hoop skirts and all!
Earlier that year Wendy (my fellow- 5th grade teacher) and I put in for a once in a lifetime experience at the Ronald Reagan Library. For three days only they were having a colonial simulation complete with interpreters (people who portrayed life back then), a military camp, games and crafts.
We were heartbroken when the news came that due to budget cuts, there would be no more field trips this year (and probably next). We couldn't let it go just like that however! Wendy went to everyone she knew and finally the library themselves graciously extended a "scholarship" which paid for our bus (squeezing as many kids as we could on that one bus!) and our transportation there.
We of course were so grateful and asked if there was anything we could do to repay them. Their response was that they'd really like us to dress up and they'd put our pictures in their portfolio, hoping again to get the funding needed to have this great experience again.
We gratefully obliged. The students were adorable! Boys in their tri-cornered caps and wigs; girls with their mob caps and bonnets. It simply was perfect. I was also lucky enough to have my sister-in-law Shay come along and take pictures of our experience so that we were able to concentrate on the fun of it all!
Here are just a few of my favorites from that day:
No comments:
Post a Comment