Well, the word is out. Finally! I am so amazed at myself that I was able to keep it a secret this long! We're adding to our family!
Here's the first picture of the little peanut. It's a side profile of his right side. Can you see his head, back and little legs hanging down? Well, at first I couldn't either. When we went in last Tuesday, the nurse kept trying to show us the outline (I'd see what she was pointing to for only mere seconds then it'd move again). It was stretching, flipping and doing somersaults. The nurse's reply was, "You've got an active one here." My reply, "That will make two then."
Going back a few months...
It was Chase's birthday in early March. He had a some classes to take on becoming an instructor for the NRA. I went with him just to keep him company in his off hours. On the morning of his birthday, he had already left for class and I woke up thinking, "Just for fun, today I'm going to take a pregnancy test." Keep in mind I wasn't late or anything. It just kind of came out of the blue. I drove to Target, bought the test (glad not to see anyone I knew) and took the test. It came back positive within seconds. I was sure I did it wrong. Test #2 I tried the second method, same result.
When Chase got home, I said happy birthday to him and then told him I had a surprise for his birthday. I was all prepared to be all sly when he blurted out, "You're pregnant?!" Darn. There goes the surprise. How'd he do that? I couldn't contain myself. I showed him the tests and for that night (wondering if I had really screwed it up or if it was positive) we were happy just to play with the idea.
Once I came home and waited the correct amount of time (it was hard to wait!), I took yet another test which also came out positive. I called my doctor and told him I was late and that I needed to schedule a pregnancy test. He was apprehensive, stating that after my two kidney surgeries my cycle could be very irregular and sometimes the HGC hormone can show up just when you're premenstrual (sorry if this is too much information). He advised me to wait yet another 3 weeks (seriously?) then check again.
I did as he said, and knew the minute I took that next test that I was carrying the little peanut. I was sure of it (though I didn't want to get my hopes up). We scheduled the appointment, spent maybe 10 mintues there, heard "Congratulations" and finally let myself believe.
Luckily for me, Easter was coming up and I had a chance to see my family. I couldn't pass up this chance to tell them in person so I let the cat out of the bag earlier with them so they'd know. The days leading up to our trip to Mesquite, I had plenty of days to sit and think, plan and create little trinkets to announce the news. I've been waiting for this moment for 30 years and it would never come again.
Here are just a few ways we announced the news:
For Kurt & Julie (and Kale) I found this little duckie onsie and filled a box with duck Easter candy. I placed the card on the lid and wrote, "Congrats you Lucky Ducks- you're going to be grandparents again!" I was so happy to receive their voicemail.
For my mom, I found this little onsie that said, "When Mommy says no, ask Grandma." We folded it into a little easter egg and decorated the outside of it. We hid it inside of a beautiful tulip plant. Apparently we hid it very well because she immediately started to water the plant, egg and all. When she opened it (she first thought it was a pair of cotton underpants for women...Huh?) Her reply was, "Really? Really, truly J'me? Are you sure? I thought it would NEVER happen." Once again, Thanks Mom.
When I told Jenn, I enlisted the boys' help. Aden took his job very seriously. I had him lay a trail of Starburst leading from the door into the kitchen. Layton was in charge of haning the signs. The first one read, "We're bursting to tell you..." The second one, "Congratulations!" and the third, "You're going to be an aunt (again)." It took the boys a minute to figure what it all meant.

When Jenn came in, Aden meticulaously took her through the trail of Starburst and into the kitchen where the (huge!) ballon that the boys picked out was waiting. As soon as she saw the first sign she started to say, "Oh! Oh! Oh!" When she hugged me she started to cry which started me crying (what can I say?) and my mom had been crying the whole time. At least I can blame it on hormones!
For Jeremy & Kari's kids, we drove to Vegas the night before Easter and surprised the kids. After making a trail of Starburst (once again) leading from their door to the driveway, we knocked on the door and hid around the corner. As they came around the corner, we were holding the sign, three little Easter baskets and blowing bubbles. Ethan read the sign very well, though all he cared about was the baskets and the bubbles. Sissy was just excited to see Chase and Chauncho and Addie-tude was happy to unwrap and single-handedly eat all of the candy. What adorable kids they are!
My sister-in-law Shay is also pregnant; due in October. When I came to her house to announce the news, I told her I had the first present for her baby. She unwrapped the box to find this little onsie that read, "Born in 2009." After she saw the first one, she pulled out the second (identical to the first). She smiled sweetly, half confused and said, "You know I'm not having twins, don't you." I tried to act surprised (I'm not that good at it), grabbed the other one and said, "Oh, I guess I'll just have to keep this one for me then." It took a minute for it to register and then sudden squeels of laughter. With a lot of hugging.
I also told Jillian the same way. I presented her with a onsie for Baby Phi (pronounced Fee) since she was born just a few months ago. I then told her that I gave one to Shay and I thought it'd be fun to have a picture of them both with their "Born in 2009" outfits. Then I said, "The best part is...I bought one for me too." Again, it took a minute to register then hugging and laughing.
Telling Joni was easy. I simply wrapped a box of Sugar Babies (do I know her well or what?) to say, "Sugar, Chase and J'me are having a Baby!"
I also sent a few announcements to friends with a some Starbursts in them to announce, "We're bursting to tell you...." So easy!
Thanks Kim, Becky, Alisha & Taylor for the photos! So glad you could join in the fun.
So now, after 13 weeks I sit and count down the days until November 9th. I have a picture of Chase that I just love and wonder, is that what our baby will look like? Better him than me. I'll keep you all posted as the days and weeks progress. I know I've promised before, but as this blog is also serving as a journal keepsake for our growing family, I have more reason to keep my promises.
Much love!
Until next time,
J'me




<
No comments:
Post a Comment