Thursday, January 27, 2011

We Don't Always Agree


My husband and I don't always agree.

He prefers the AC while I love the heater, my warming pad and lots of blankets.

He loves twangy western music while I prefer updated, "regular" songs.

His idea of a night out is hanging out at the archery shop or Sportsman's Warehouse. I am an avid fan of the theater (Broadway or close to it) or a nice evening "on the town".

He fills the DVR up with shows about hunting, gold mining, and Pawn Shops.

But, there is one thing (ok maybe two) that we both agree on...

We are SO ready for these babies to grace us with their presence (maybe me a little more than he is)! The rooms may not be ready, the closets may still be empty (empty of pink anyway. We have so much boy clothing and sadly nothing for the baby girl-yet), and the crib may not be set up, but we're ready!
We talk about the babies all the time, pray for them in all of our family prayers, and try to prepare our 15 month old for the changes that are about to come. The Boy is obsessed with belly buttons right now. He goes crazy lately because it's just a lot of work to cover up this bulge and often (when we're at home) my belly button is exposed. He points excitedly and immediately runs over to poke at it (ouch!) and says over and over, "Butt(on)! Butt(on)!". It's cute but honestly, sometimes it's a little intrusive.
Chase is wonderful to talk to him about the babies. He often says, "Can you give the babies kisses?" Kurt then looks at me and runs right to my belly, mouth open wide (we need to teach this kid to pucker up!) and "kisses" my tummy. That just invites another round of "Butt! Butt!" with his little finger poking my every increasing belly.



I'm so grateful that Chase is patient with me right now. My hormones are crazy. One minute I'm so giddy I'm about to cry, then the next second I DO cry (no more watching birth stories and deliveries on the Discovery Channel!) I am demanding, whiny, pathetic and a control freak (it's hard to let someone else wait on you and do virtually everything. It sounds good in theory, but it's honestly hard for me!)

I have a long list of woes. This is the time of pregnancy where I'm. Just. Done. Period. I'm uncomfortable. I can't breathe. I can't stand/sit/recline/bend over/reach or even see my toes. I don't sleep. I have to rotate every twenty minutes (the babies make sure I wake up if I'm lying on my side. Wouldn't you kick and throw a fit if ALL of my weight was lying on you?). I can't sleep on my back. I make multiple (I honestly counted 12 the other night!) trips to the bathroom during the night.

Although this list could go on and on (and on...and on...) I'll leave it there. Suffice it to say, this is the HARD part. Labor lasts a few hours (or a day) this? This could be weeks. All of this, as horrible as it sounds is (gasp!) in the end- worth it.

The only thing that really gets me though each day (and night) is the thought that, one horrible day for me now is one less day they may have to stay in the hospital. Multiples are infamous for having to stay in the hospital for sometimes weeks at a time. I know this is a very real possibility, but I am hoping beyond hope that these two come and go right along with me. I have faith that everything will work out. I'm amazed at how the Lord has blessed us thus far and have no doubt that He will do what's best for us- and more importantly- for them. Still. I'm trying my darndest to give them a fighting chance. Even if it does mean a moment (HA!) of pain for me.

Speaking of pain- The poor Little Boy has a hard time lately fitting on my lap. Scratch that- what lap? He brings me books to read and tries to snuggle in and get comfortable only to find there isn't room for all 3 of them!
I think this picture says it all: "I don't want to share Mom's lap!"
I love him. Ornery parts and all. This little stinker- HAD to get a haircut the other day. When I say "HAD" to, it was mainly because his new found hobby is sticking his food in his hair and rubbing it all around. Last night it was avocado and scrambled eggs. He thinks it's hilarious. I'm hoping that the haircut helps eliminate this habit in any small way.

It's still a little too short for me. We'll get it though. Next time we'll try it longer and maybe get it right this time. I love these boys. They make me so happy and I'm so lucky they belong to me!




*Post Script:
Some friends have asked if we're having a shower before the babies come. Seeing as we have no idea when that day is (could be tonight. could be a month from now), my sister Jenn is putting on a "Take a Peek" party for after they arrive. When they're cleared for visitors and some of the craziness has died down, we'd love for everyone who is near enough and wants to, to come and "Take a Peek" at our two new additions.


No comments: