Sunday, January 9, 2011

Better Late Than Never

Really, who can blame me?
I'm just getting around to posting about Christmas. Don't judge.
This year because of our situation, we were on a travel-hiatus. We had originally wanted to go to Pennsylvania again (though the drive did NOT sound good to me after all the driving to the Yukon and back). After the doctor's appointment early in November though, I was put on modified bed rest (only to modify it even more this week) and all travel plans were changed.
Though I was terribly disappointed (I so looked forward to a Christmas party with my wonderful sisters-in-law), I knew it was the right choice to make.

So we decided to hold our own Christmas (with my mom in Nebraska and the Soup Kitchen weren't taking any more volunteers) and form our own traditions.

Tradition #1- Christmas in the Canyons at Tuacahn
I'm not sure if you know this- but I LOVE St. George. Although I always thought that I'd never want to live close to home, moving back here has...well...changed my mind. The red rocks and mountains. The scenery and the Temple. I lately just can't get enough.

Tuacahn is an outdoor theater set against the beautiful red rocks of Snows Canyon. Each year at Christmas they hold an out door live Nativity, have a wonderful Santa (complete with real beard), a small train ride and lights galore.
We were lucky enough to go the last night (it had rained out previously) and sat in the front row, right in front of where they bring in the animals for the nativity. The Boy was fascinated at the sheep, the horse and didn't quite know what to make of the donkey and camel. He was intrigued by the lights and did very well.
We then took a quick little train ride, and again he was more interested in the lights wrapped around the little train than what was going on outside.
New Tradition #2: Christmas Eve at the St. George Temple. As a kid I remember going there to hear Luke 2 broadcast next to the nativity, the lights and the videos at the welcome center.
How great it was to walk the same path this time with my husband and son.
We cuddled to stay warm
(sorry, I just noticed that The Boy's hand is down my shirt. Sorry. It's a habit I'm trying to break. I promise I'll get him to stop- at least before he's 12!)

Tradition #3: Christmas Eve "Dinner"
This year we wanted to not overdue it, but wanted something different for Christmas Eve dinner. We decided to just do hors d'oeuvres. Only problem is- we got a little carried away. We were so stuffed after just one small plate full. Chase even made sugar free hot wassil. I made toffee bars, and we made honey chocolate chip cookies (with sugar free chocolate chips) together.
Tradition #4: I got to play Santa.
I had a lot of fun this year playing Santa for the boys. I waited until they both went to bed then stuffed our stockings full of fun trinkets and brought out the few gifts we had for each other and from family. We didn't originally have them under the tree, as it was too inviting for the boy not to get into.

My favorite part was getting something for Chase that he never would have asked for or even knew he wanted. It's always my own personal game to try to figure out something he'd never guess (as many of you know he's always spoiling my Christmas and birthday surprises. He just knows me too well). This year I surprised him with this little number:
If you know my husband, you know he'd live on Cheerios (or Wheaties) and Muscle Milk everyday if he could (and when we can afford it- he does). We go through boxes and boxes of cereal (between him and the boy) and it just seems that it's always out on the counter (why put it away really?) That's where this little beauty comes in. It's double sided so if we wanted to we could put in two separate cereals or snacks, but for us double the cheerios= double the fun! It's so handy and honestly I really didn't know if we'd use it or not. I am glad to say we do!

All in all, we had a wonderful, quiet Christmas. I really wouldn't have it any other way. Last Christmas was busy (to say the least), and heaven knows next Christmas will be as well. It's nice to know that at least for now, we can focus on the spirit and peace of it all, rather than the craziness of it all.

No comments: