Saturday, May 28, 2011

It Takes a Village

You know the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child"?

Well, it takes my whole entire family to raise my kidlets.

With Chase gone for two weeks, I'm single-parenting it until he gets back. I've done a number of days on my own. People ask how it's going. My response is simple: "It's kind of a crazy madhouse, really. Let's just say that some days there's a lot of crying at my house. And it isn't always the babies."

All joking aside, I don't know how moms of three; especially SINGLE moms of three (mother, how in the world did you manage FOUR?!) do it every day. My heart goes out to you. No one to take a load off when they get home. No adult conversation. No one to say, "Hey. Stop him from licking stuff in the garbage please."

As we are a one car family, with Chase using the truck for the trek (that's hard to say!), I voted to go to my mom's and wait it out until he returns. Secretly I was just stoked that my sister Jenn lives nearby and between the three of us, I might be able to bathe my children sometime this week!

How I love these women that make my children their own.

Jenn loves and holds the twins so I can have free hands to make dinner, send some emails, shower or just- be.
She also has Kurt for 90% of the day. That's something I'd hate to admit if it were anyone else caring for him. Not her! Her entire day is 'Kurt-centered'. She brings him music, DVDs, swimming pools, toys and snacks that she thinks he might like. She took him to the store and came back with a small swimming pool, pool toys and swimming diapers. I tell you, that kid doesn't know how good he's got it!

Mom takes The Boy with her wherever she can. He helps her water the lawn.


Yes, he's in his little birthday suit. Grandmas will do that.

Grandmas will also take him in his shorts, his Sunday shirt and cowboy boots (it's a long story!) to church.
She will also allow this:
No shorts, still wearing boots, eating bananas (a treat for a sugar free kid), and sitting in his old exerciser.

Heaven help me, I love her.

Mom had the crazy idea last night to take all three of the kids (plus Jenn's two) to the store to "wear them out" before baths. I think what really happened is that it just wore us out instead.
If you saw that crazy whirlwind caravan we made at Walmart, I apologize. It took 3 adults, 2big kids, three carts, one bottle, two soothies and a whole lot of toys before we finally stepped out of those doors. I think the entire store drew a collective sigh of relief and secretly watched us drive away to make sure we weren't coming back.

I am so grateful for my family. When Kurt and I say prayers at night, we go through his day and what exciting things he did. I am amazed how every bit of his day was occupied with games, hugs, activities, rides, surprises, and treats from his grandma, aunts and cousins. I'm sure if I did the same with the twins, they'd see the same outcome (just a lot more sleeping and eating in there). Thanks you girls (and guys) for doing a job I am just unable to do right now- dote and gush over each one of my three kids until they feel like they are the only ones in the world right now. I owe you so much more than my life for that!

No comments: