There's the, "I appreciate you" look, the "I feel for you" look and the "I wouldn't wanna-be-ya" look. The one look I'm not used to getting a lot though. It's the look of, "You MUST be crazy". I'm not one who really enjoys chaos or insanity. I don't go looking for trouble and count myself lucky when I narrowly escape it. Usually.
So when my husband suggested that I and the kids (along with his cousin and sister) fly with the kids back east to stay with my in-laws while he was gone on business, my mouth dropped to the floor. My first thought was in true fight or flight mode. I wanted to get out of there and never bring up the subject again. After time (and some coaxing), however, I began to change my tune.
Anyone who knows me, and knows me well can attest to the fact that I am not necessarily an easy going person. In fact, though I may not show it on the outside, inside I am a mess of emotions- most of which do nothing to fuel the fire of anxiety quickly growing inside of me.
I tend to be a "worse-case-scenerio" type of individual. As most of my college friends can attest to, I often am the one in the group pointing out the worst and all of the many ways it could possibly go awry. I prefer to see it as the only one in the group willing to hold the realistic stick, but alas no one else sees it this way.
That's why, the idea of flying with three children (all three and under) clear across the country without my big strong, take charge husband about sent me over the edge.
Luckily I had two benefits I was overlooking.
1- The idea came early enough that (a) we were able to book an ideal flight, and (b) I was able to work through a lot of my anxiety weeks before actually having to make a final decision.
and 2- I was seriously underestimating traveling with two young, (gorgeous) and travel-savvy ladies that really made the trip so much easier!
I really have vowed not to ever travel (at least without kids) without our Miriam. She was a one woman army! She had everyone in line, on time and standing at attention. All she needed was a dress handsewn from her bedroom drapes and I would have gladly handed over my captain's whistle!
As we approached the check in counter (whilst I was trying to wrangle three little bodies going in three different directions), we were told both my bags were over the weight limit (See, even my bags are in denial!) I was all ready to just pay the fine (over $150 total) because we needed to get moving. Miriam and Kale on the other hand, whipped open both of their bags and in one fail swoop had all four of our bags in under the weight limit, on time and not even out of breath. It saved me more than just a whopping amount of money that day. 
The kids loved every second of it. From the glass elevators (their favorite part!) to the moving escalators (not exactly their favorites).
Kurt became my big helper, pulling one of the bags and when they whisked us into the short line for security, Vance waved at all of the hoards of people standing in a terribly long line waiting to get through. Obviously, he did not see the look of foreboding on their faces, but instead stood and waved saying, "Hi! Hi Guys!"
We got through security fairly quick and almost painlessly. The kids were ecstatic to see the big airplanes up close. I apologize to all of the hundreds of people waiting at their gates as my crew enthusasticly (some more than others) sang at the top of our lungs, "Oh.....we're flying in an airplane, looking out the window, watching the clouds go by....We're flying in an airplane, looking out the window, up so very high!" Darn you Barney. Darn you.
Waiting at the gate seemed to only take a few minutes. That's what happens when there's three adults to take turns entertaining. What seemed like only minutes after arriving, we were eating a quick lunch as we waited for the others to board (another perk of traveling with kids- Early Boarding!)

And with take off, we said goodnight to Sissy (I'm not sure we were even in the air yet) and watched as the boys grew even more excited. Window seats are never underestimated and for that matter- neither is inflight reading material.

While Sissy slept (a blessing for us all!), the boys entertained themselves. Hallelujah for dollar store toys (not sure they'll make it home from the return flight, but well worth the money spent!) and for our own inflight entertainment. Finally we lost Vance to sweet slumber (though not for long- this boy loves sleep, but doesn't do well with sleep that is not in his bed) and Kurt even laid down for a minute or two.
All in all, we made it even earlier than expected. A mere 4 hours on a plane sounded much better after we were officially landing. I have to say, the kids did even better than I gave them credit for. The twins only had 1 minor catastrophe each, and Kurt was wonderful- even if he did get a little ancy and loud the last 20 minutes before descending.
As we approached Buffalo, Sissy began to fill the cabin with screams of, "NO! NO!" (Snow). Then, trying to divert her attention, Miriam lovingly asked her, "Sis, can you see Grandma Julie down there? She's waiting for us". Well, that just began a whole slew of "Gam-Ma! Gam-Ma! I see Gam-Ma!" I'm sure the other passengers appreciated the high pitch decibel of her scream, though luckily those around us just found it as humorous as we did.
Finally we were there, and so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa! Kurt was concerned when his Grandpa wasn't there at the gate waiting, but started jumping up and down when he saw him parked in the van at the curb.
Once buckled in, we felt so close to our destination. It took another 2 hours of ingenious work on Miriam's part to keep them awake and just as we were about to lose them- we arrived! Though dark and unlit, it was like a beacon after a long storm.
Welcome to Grandma's!














No comments:
Post a Comment