Sometimes my husband really surprises me.
And sometimes he takes my breath away.
Anyone who knows him well knows that he is a true gift-guru. I am not exaggerating when I say if gift giving were an Olympic sport, he would take the gold. I think maybe my favorite thing about his gift giving ability though, is the element of surprise.
He will often wait until a day or two before the actual holiday, or (many times) wait until it's not a holiday at all. It's those times when I'm not expecting anything that he seems to blow me out of the water.
This year he really outdid himself. I really have no idea how he will EVER top this. Don't tell him that though- I don't want him to see that as a challenge!
Tonight was just a regular Thursday night. A long day with a quiet night. He called a few hours ago asking if I could set it up so we could go on a little date. It all worked out and I thought, we'll go out to eat and be back early to still put kids down to bed. Perfect!
As we were eating, he just nonchalantly mentioned a little place next door that he wanted to show me something- if they were still open. It was still rather early so I agreed. We drove through the parking lot to a quaint little house that had a sign out front saying, "Fine Art Gallery".
He mentioned as we got out that there was a painting of the first vision in here that he really liked and wanted me to see. Chase's family is from Pennsylvania, just a few hours away from New York. When I first flew out to visit when we were dating, the Sacred Grove was one of the first places we went.
We walked in, saw an artist at the easel and asked if it was open to the public. He was busy working (so I didn't see his face), but ushered us in anyway. We walked around, commenting on all of his beautiful work. He focused a lot on Nauvoo and true to his word, the painting of the first vision was incredible. We both commented on the fact that this particular painting stood out from the rest, because he had painted the trees without green leaves. Most of the other photos you see the grove is lush and green. Chase, knowing from experience that those trees don't get full and green until at least June, loved that simple detail.
We walked around some more and admired more of the artist's work. As we got to the door to leave (I was trying my best to not bother the artist while he worked), Chase asked if we could see what he was working on. He said, "Sure. It's just a little portrait here, but I think it's pretty special". We walked around his easel and my eyes took just a second to register what I saw.
There, on a half finished canvas, sat my little three amigos. I looked up, and only then did I recognize Chase's friend Micheal from our ward. He has been out to our house a few times as they've discussed bees and gardens. Never did I once glance up to see him until that moment. They both looked at me as I looked back at the canvas, truly unable to stop the flood of tears streaming down my face. I couldn't say anything. All that was coming from my throat was a few sobs and an occasional audible gasp.
Finally, Michael looked around for a box of tissues. I couldn't move. I just sat there, looking at my babies and feeling like I could reach out and touch them. Finally, after what felt like minutes, I whispered (half sobbing), ".... my babies."
I couldn't even begin to wonder how this all came about. Later I learned just how much stealth work went in to not only pulling off this great feat, but also all of the many people who surround me that couldn't ever breathe a word about it. And I'm so glad they didn't. That small moment in time with me just staring at this painting, tears streaming down my face, with no other sound made, will be tucked forever safely inside my heart.
I have been feeling a bit solemn lately. Everyone who has ever brought a second, third (or more) child home knows the same feeling. It's hard to describe. It's a longing for days to stay just the way they are, with the kids you have never growing, never changing. But then there's this other side of you that just can't wait to see what life is ready to bring you. You're suddenly caught between this wall of wanting to stay, and longing to go.
I catch myself lately just staring at my little brood. Glad (now I can finally say) that I had them so close in age. They really are like a set of triplets, each with their own distinct personalities. I daydream about what they'll be like as big brothers and sisters, how they'll fair with an infant in the house. I know they won't need me as much. I won't be a part of their every waking second, and it hurts my heart a little to admit that.
So when I saw them there, forever captured in this moment, the moment I wanted so badly to hold on to- just a minute longer, there were no words. No words in this earthly tongue that could have expressed how I was feeling. I felt like I were in heaven, looking down on the three of them and while wanting so badly to be with them, knowing that they were in fact growing up and moving on.
---Day 2 (A Little Update)
Before we left yesterday, Micheal mentioned that he'd love for the kids to come and see the painting while in progress. In fact, he offered to give them each a brush and let them do a little stroke or two on the painting itself. We took him up on the offer this morning and brought the crew to see it in action.
They made me a little nervous, but he assured me that anything they did could be corrected. They were more than happy to take up a paint brush and contribute to such a family heirloom.
...some were a little less focused than others.
...and some were quite intent on getting it just right.
They loved it! They even got a short lesson on painting, brushes and cleaning them. A truly great experience for three budding little artists!
**Second Update:
It's here! It's here! It's finally here!
Isn't it wonderful?
We have the perfect wall in our kitchen for it. We've affectionately named it, "Summer Watermelon" and I couldn't be happier with it.
The portrait itself couldn't be more true to life. Each one in their favorite shoes.
Ava, with her curly hair and cherished cowgirl boots, gladly eating the fruit that her big brother offers her. She loves her "Kurty" and feels so at ease when he takes care of her.
And Vance, with his favorite scuffed up camo shoes, his crossed legs and simple smile as he watches their interaction. Content to sit back and watch, all the while enjoying the peaceful moment.
Knowing that this piece of our life will stay with us, on our walls and in our home, makes this the BEST gift ever. Next to my family, it's my most cherished possession.
If there's one thing I want my kids to take away from this experience, I hope they understand one day just what a great dad they have.
He is always putting me first and works effortlessly to make sure I'm happy. He goes above and beyond what's expected- not for the thank yous and praise, but because he knows what it would mean to me- and them. He is the type of person who makes things happen and it's because of him our family is truly, truly blessed.




.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment