I know you all feel neglected, and you have every right to feel that way.
I know this week has been hard on you all. No one to put you to work, to exercise your abilities. I'm sorry, but at some point I had to choose between you and your distant cousin the dish washer. He was only used a few times though, so try not to feel too jealous.
The reason for my voluntary neglect this week is due to one pocket-sized little gem. He weighs about 7 pounds and has us all wrapped around his long, tiny fingers.
For the very first week of Cash's life, we've all sort of stepped back a bit. Time spent wasting time is now spent canoodling him and simply watching him sleep. Where I used to watch the clock and wonder how in the world I'd make it to bedtime, I find myself gazing at his little features and snuggling with him, only to find that somehow the clock has turned forward and it's already time for bed.
I really wouldn't have it any other way.
You can't tempt me with the promise of showers, of outside pleasantries or of adventures on the high seas. This is what I chose to do with my time: watch the minutes slip slowly by, wanting for a brief moment to suspend time.
What we know about Cash from his first week of life:
1- He smiles. Like All. The. Time!
I started trying to capture them all on camera, but now there are so many that I fear I may never catch up. Most of them are when he is just falling asleep, when he is just starting to rouse, or sometimes when he hears my voice. Yes, I'm fully aware that this in truth may just mean that he is indeed my gassiest child, I chose to think differently.
2- He sleeps. Like All. The. Time!
This itty-bitty boy can fall asleep anywhere. And for long periods of time. Honestly, at first it had me worried but now that I know he is getting the milk he needs (watching his diapers and growth like a hawk), I've settled into the fact that he just likes his sleep. And sometimes it doesn't matter where or how. He just has to have those 3 hour naps.
3- He is tall!
Baby Cash is in the 90th % for height. He is by far my tallest baby. By about 3 inches! He also has what we lovingly refer to as "Monkey Toes" or "Old Man Hands". His fingers and toes are so long, at times they don't look like they belong to him. In fact, his monkey toes are so long that his most comfortable position is to curl them under. I told you- Monkey Toes!
4- His brothers
It doesn't matter what time it is, if he is screaming at the top of his lungs, or has been sound asleep for hours at a time- the boys just HAVE to hold him. I am commanded on a minute by minute basis to put them on their laps, in their arms or (twice a day now every day at naps and at bedtime before sleep) even in their beds.
Kurt goes into the nursery first thing in the morning, whether the baby is awake or not, finds the boppy pillow and instructs me to follow him into the other room so he can hold his baby. I happily oblige. He really is careful with him, and with the support of the boppy pillow he does quite well. In fact, he watched an entire 30 minute cartoon this morning with Baby Cash right along with him happily hanging out on the boppy. Just being together.
Vance is a little less careful. He's also a lot more excited. He never stops hugging, kissing, or petting him. He loves to hold him and loves it even more when Cash opens his eyes (or eye) and he excitedly exclaims, "Open eye! He. Look. at Me." Then that just ensues another round of poking and caressing and a lot more, "Oh Man!" from him.
5- We are sure lucky to have him!
I was thinking today of how he came into our family rather quickly (I know, 12 days over due is anything but quick). Chase and I had one conversation last fall, a few weeks later I knew I was expecting and lickity split he came just like that. Even his birth was fast (though maybe not fast enough for me at the time). As I marveled at these facts, I felt in my heart maybe I had done a disservice to him and should have had him sooner. Was he just waiting to join our family, impatiently tapping his foot (with those long old monkey toes!) and saying, "Come on Mom. Get it together. It's my turn!"
Maybe. Just maybe. My apologies little man. Thanks for being patient and understanding. Thanks for waiting for me to get it somewhat together. I'm excited to see what it is that you bring to our family. We already know the tip top of that list is love. And for that, we know we are extremely blessed.











No comments:
Post a Comment