Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Our Pet-for-a-Day

I think I'm going to start making a book of all the "pets" we find in and around our house!

It's finally been getting cold!  Not cold enough to turn on the heater mind you, but cold for our desert home.  I mentioned to Chase this morning that we should probably clean out the fireplace and light the pilot light "just in case".  As he was cleaning it out, we heard little scratching.  

No!  I was sure it was a mouse.  Out of all the critters we had, we had yet to have a mouse.  We couldn't tell if it was in the chimney or just next to it, so we decided to turn on the fire and see if anything happened.  

Sure enough!  In just a minute or two, this guy came scurrying down. 


We immediately shut off the fire (though I'm sure he was happy to be warm!) and called the kids to come and see.  Vance was over the moon excited!  Dad made the joke that we had a new pet and Vance was even happier.  They all thought of names for it.  Cash voted we name him "Fluffly", but Vance decided on Lizzy Lizard instead.  

All day (until Dad could come home again), the kids went over to the fireplace and said hello to her.  Vance talked all about Lizzy during school and even ran downstairs after naps to make sure she was still there.  She must have been pretty cold at first, because she couldn't move that fast.  As the day worn on though, she got more and more spry.  

Once Dad got home, Vance asked right away if he could go and get Lizzy so he could hold him.  He really didn't want to let her go, until we asked how he would feel if he was lost and far from home.  I told him that I would be so sad if he was gone from our family and just like we would miss him, Lizzy's family probably missed her terribly.  That must have done the trick.  


We gave them each some time to hold her and say their goodbyes...



"She's so squisshy!"


Grant could NOT wait to hold her.  Once he did, he wouldn't let anyone near him for fear they'd take the lizard away.  As if I didn't already know- he is 100% all boy!



So goodbye, Little Lizzy.  It was fun to have you as a pet for a day.  Next time, we'll make sure not to leave the fire on for you. 

No comments: