Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas, 2018

Do you want to know what I asked Santa for this year for Christmas? If you've been here long enough to read my Christmas post from last year it wouldn't take long to guess- all I wanted was for our family to all be happy AND healthy after our dreaded sickness from last year! 


Luckily for me (well for all of us, really)- everyone was in tip top shape and it was already looking like this Christmas would go down as one of my favorites just for that.  



We started Christmas Eve with our reading of Luke 2 (my favorite)

and then Christmas gifts (their favorite). 


First up- Christmas PJs!!



And then- as per tradition- our Christmas Eve Children's books.



This year I think I was more excited about their books than I think they were.  







As per tradition, we huddled around together while we read through each one, page by page. 


Lastly, we left some yummy homemade cookies and rice krispy treats and then headed upstairs for prayers and bed.  While kneeling on the playroom floor, we heard a sudden clatter of hooves, jingle bells and a distinct "HO! HO! HO!" up on our rooftop. 

The kids looked around, not sure of what to believe. When Chase got up to run and see what it was outside, we all followed suit.  Some of the kids were a little nervous, thinking that if Santa was here already, he might skip our house because we weren't in bed. 

As we were outside, we saw the most amazing sight- antlers appeared on our rooftop and the jingle bells were REAL!  We ran to the backyard to try and see if we could see them from the backyard, but alas they were way too fast for us. 

We all ran back inside and as we did, Cash noticed that the cookies had a bite taken out of them!  It was a Christmas miracle and if any of us had reservations about the big guy before, we were quickly changing our tune. 


Once we came back inside, the kids were too excited to sleep.  They all ran back into their rooms, but the giggling that ensued was comical.  Getting them to go to sleep now was beyond impossible.  


Their emotions were just too jittery. 





**Christmas Morning**


Even though they had a hard time getting to sleep the night before,  somehow they were all up bright and early the next morning.  We had our friend Cheryl coming over for breakfast and gifts so I had told them they could come down early and check out gifts from Santa before she got there. 

When we were taking our traditional Christmas morning stairs picture, it was all they could do not to look around the corner.  I love this part.  I always try to take a little longer than they expect because it drives them a little crazy.  They can't stand that WE can see what they got but they can't.  It's the best. 


Once they get permission, they race around that corner and all you can hear are gasps and hoots and hollers.  I love when the kids yell to each other, "Cash! Look what Santa brought you!" or "Grant, come see this, you're going to be SOOO excited!" 

This year Santa was very kind and brought them each their own LEGO set.  


Along with a small LEGO set, Santa also answered Ava's request and brought her her very own cat.  She has been asking for a while, but with Dad being allergic, this would be the only type she would get.  She loved her from the first second she set eyes on her.  She named her Bella because she wanted a name she could write on her ribbon and be able to sound it out.  


It looks like Vance is only a teeny bit excited about his LEGO set.  



Santa is pretty great.  Somehow he found all of Dad's favorite Costco treats in stocking size!


"Thank you, Santa!" 


Santa also gave each of these kids their own sleep masks.  Kurt asked for one for his birthday and ever since then, they've all wanted one.  What a great guy! They are all so excited to have sleep masks...


...and now are all a little bit sleepy. 


Finally the time has come for Secret Santa gifts! 


Secret Santa hugs are the best. 


These kids know each other pretty well. 



Grant has been asking for his own knife when we go camping for years now.  Finally I gave in and let Dad buy him a starter knife (dulled top but sides still sharp).  It only took a minute or two for him to cut his finger a little and Dad's response was, "Well, he's going to learn today!" I'm still not sold on the idea, but it looks like it's happening anyway.  


In all of our years we've been married (and even before), Chase ALWAYS guesses the gifts I get him. I thought finally that I had actually surprised him with an air fryer but right before we went to bed on Christmas Eve, he mentioned that's what he thought I got him and I almost punched him.  I was so upset.  But the next day, the look on his face (when he realized just how right he was) was worth it to see how happy it made him.  Now to figure out is he this excited because of the air fryer, or because he was right once again?  It's hard to tell. 


I sure love the kids' facial expressions as they opened gifts all morning.  





I loved that the kids wrote cards to each other and put money in them from their jars and gave them to each other as gifts.  It is such a fun experience for them and makes them feel so grown up. 


Kurt even made some cut pop up cards for the kids. 


and I in turn made Kurt his own stationary set.  He is already planing out how to use them and who to write letters to. Letter number one he's decided is to the LEGO Group! 



One of the things Kurt asked for was a night robe and comfy slippers.  He also asked for his church suit to be dry cleaned and to have his own address labels.  He may only be 9, but he is 80 at heart.  


Vance has been asking for a remote control helicopter for so long now.  He had gone through all of the gifts and had decided that it was ok that he didn't get it, because he could save his money and always get it later.  When we gave him the last box hiding under the back of the tree, his face said it all.  He is such a sweet boy and would never complain that he didn't get something he wanted.  So to see his face and that he didn't dare hope to get it, it made us so happy.  


Ava also received roller blades that were on her wish list.  I have reservations, but figure as long as she stays right here- always on the carpet I'd be just fine with her having them :) 


That day was spent mostly at the table creating our LEGO sculptures.  Dad was in the kitchen trying out his new Air Fryer, and I was just happy to have everyone happy and healthy.  Thanks again, big guy!  You made my Christmas wish come true. 







Merry Christmas, from the (NOT SICK THIS YEAR) Shilligs! 


No comments: