Friday, November 1, 2019

Gotta Catch 'em All!


Let's just say that this slogan has been sung around our house for the last year at least once a day.  Around this time last year, the kids discovered the Pokemon card game and it began an obsession that we've all been sucked into.  So when Halloween rolled around, it wasn't even a second thought for most of them what exactly they wanted to be for Halloween. 


I however am not as familiar with the characters as they are so I was schooled very quickly on all things Poke!  Did you know that Pokemon is short for "Pocket Monsters"?  I didn't either! 


Cash opted to be his favorite dragon (the evolved form...whatever that means!) I couldn't find a costume that fit him, and luckily he wasn't bothered by a homemade costume (minus the hat). He loved his wings (I made them for him to be able to play with them again and again) and his tail.  He took his character very seriously and is somewhat of a method actor.


Ava couldn't decide which Pokemon to be (there was one that is all pink and she had a hard time choosing) so she chose to be Nurse Joy, who works at the Pokemon Center and fixes all of the Pokemons that come in with their trainers.  Since she still wants to be a veterinarian, this was a very good fit for her! 


We all know that Kurt has great ideas.  When I couldn't find a costume for him for his favorite Pokemon, Dicidueye, he told me exactly how to make it.  As I sewed this sweatshirt a few days before Halloween, he would come into where I was working and give me pointers on how to do it just right to make it look more authentic.  He did say that in the end it was a lot more "cartoony" than he imagined, but he loved it none the less.  


Of course, our own Ash Ketchum made our family outfit complete!  Since Vance was really the first one to get into Pokemon in our family, it seemed fitting that he would represent Ash who is apparently the best trainer of all! 


We couldn't have an Ash without his trusty sidekick, Pikachu.  This guy played his part well.  Whenever he had his suit on, he wouldn't answer me in human form.  His answers sounded just like Pikachu from the show and it was all I could do to get him to stand up and walk on his two legs.  He demanded to wear this to bed and I'm not sure if he'll ever take it off now. 


Pikachu and Charmander- best of friends! 


There they are- our Pokemon group. 
Ready to go Catch 'Em All! 


Trick-or-Treat!
Dad is always the best at this.  He is so fun with all of the kids that come to our door and makes it a real treat to enjoy for the night.


As per tradition, the kids get to "practice" trick-or-treating our house first.  It only took two tries to get it just right (😉).


We were lucky enough to get to have Grandma and Grandpa with us last night.  It was so very cold, which is quite unusual for our little desert home.  Grandpa and Dad had the BEST idea to get out the fire pit and we all warmed up (with many little trick-or-treaters coming to warm their little hands with us) by the fire on our porch. 


I think the kids liked handing out candy just as much as they liked receiving it! 


This year the kids begged for us to let them go trick-or-treating by themselves.  Dad convinced me to let them go, but I coerced them into letting me follow along for at least our block with my camera.  Afer all, what is a mom with a camera and no kids to shoot?  Just a creepy old lady on the corner taking pictures of random kids-that's who!




They had a great time as they stayed together as a group (#1 rule) all while Dad and I watched from afar.  It was harder for me than I dare to admit. 





These little  big kids went all the way down our street and back the other side trick-or-treating.  I was so proud of them! Though it drove me crazy not to be right beside them, every once in a while I peeked down to see that they were alive and well.  I saw them holding hands across the street (be still my beating heart!) and waiting for each other at every house. 


I know it won't be long before they don't need me.  But for now, I'm enjoying this moment when they do.  I love them more than I love Halloween candy (and that's a lot!). 
 I'm so glad I got to catch these little monsters! 


Pokemon!
Gotta Catch 'em all!
It's you and me
I know it's our destiny
Pokemon!
Oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend!

Pokemon!
Gotta catch 'em all!
A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through!
You teach me and I teach you
Pokemon!
Gotta Catch 'em all!
'

No comments: