Merry Christmas Eve! It's a little strange, but this year is the first year we haven't had anyone here celebrating with us. It was a quiet night reading our Christmas books, singing songs, and reading Luke 2.
Afterward, we opened up our new pajamas together and shared our Secret Santa gifts.
Every year we pick names for our Secret Santa at the beginning of December. All month long we think of different acts of service to do for each other. Sometimes it's making their bed, cleaning parts of their room, writing a note, or leaving a treat.
The kids have been busy doing Secret Santa services for each other. They wait with expectation in the air for the day to finally come when they get to pick out a present for them. Together, we share in this sweet spirit that is present all around us. It's one of the most special parts of Christmas for me. I'd take these small gifts over all of the toys that Santa brings, any day!
Every year I wish I could stop time. Just for a minute. So I can memorize their faces. Save their voices in my heart. Keep them this little; this innocent and sweet for just a bit longer. I know that time marches on, and as I lament it flies by without a second glance. I will just have to keep up. As much as I want to keep them this little, Time refuses so I concede.
Tomorrow is Christmas and as much as I am excited it's here, part of me wishes I could shut the door and not let it pass the threshold. Keep it outside- away from my ever-changing family. But I know it will come. The kids will not sleep tonight with excitement.
One of our traditions on Christmas morning is to have the kids sit on the stairs and wait to come down to see what Santa brought them. If you ask them, this is their LEAST favorite of all traditions. Especially when Dad walks around downstairs just out of sight commenting on all of the "stuff" Santa has brought them.
Like when he says, "Ohh! Kurt! Look at all of these Barbies you got! Ohh and Ava, look at all of these Army men and Cars!" They moan and groan and barely sit still as I pretend to move slowly and take my time taking their stair picture. I laugh because they all say it's the worst part of Christmas, but mark my words they will be doing this exact same thing with their kids!
Ready...set...go!
"At Christmas, play and have good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year!" - Thomas Tusser
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment