Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Soup Kitchen Christmas



One of my favorite things about Christmas is the Soup Kitchen. The tradition started the year I returned from my mission. I remember it so vividly. My Aunt Veva (the real star of the show) had volunteered there before on Christmas.

That year, the week before Christmas, my dad passed away. I can't say we were surprised but that didn't make it less hard. It was a very difficult Christmas. One of the reasons was that we soon found out the Veteran's Aid weren't planning on paying for the funeral costs. I'll never forget going with my family to the mortuary and literally picking out a coffin for my dad. It was a sobering moment.


Needless to say the gift giving part of Christmas took a back seat. We decided as a family that those of us who could would go Christmas morning and volunteer so that we'd feel the Christmas spirit by giving to others. I was sure it was a one time thing and that next Christmas we'd get that same 'ol Christmas feeling back. The funny thing was, suddenly it didn't feel like Christmas unless we were there at the soup kitchen.

So that brings us here, at our 5th year volunteering. Each year I'm amazed at just how far it comes. When I first started, I remember my mom rushing to fill glasses on the table, I was dishing out food with my cousins Brian and April, Aunt Veva and Jeremy were running around in and out of the kitchen, checking food and simply being the go-to's for everything. I remember feeling so proud of them.

My first year it was simply a lunch with music and a few people. Over the years it has truly grown into something spectacular. Two years ago we moved into a larger building- the Catholic Church. We now have musical acts, food, Santa, and gifts galore.

What fun it was this year to bring my new husband here and watch him take on this role. He loved making friends with everyone. He had a special friend, Edna that took a real shinning to him. She had him sit by her when she ate and she just adored him as he walked her to and from her seat. A true gentleman.

I was lucky enough this year to hand out numbers with Brian's (expecting) wife, Angie. We had a good time. In fact, the reporters from the local channel came to ask us why we were there and sure enough we were on the 9:00 news. I took real comfort in the fact that I lived 300 miles from there and hopefully no one I knew would see it. (Except for my mom who Tivoed it and reminded me that the camera adds 10 pounds. Thanks mom).

This year I got to hold a darling baby girl while her mom wrestled her two older brothers. It was surely my pleasure. Mom, Aunt Veva, Zack and I also got to "go shopping" for the kids there. There were toys, clothes and books galore. By the end, we were giving out bags of gifts for the kids. It's wonderful to see that kind of generosity here in our own back yard.

Most of all, I was simply proud to associate with my family. My mom and Aunt Veva always seem to be the silent saviors. They endlessly give their time and energy to these awesome causes, and never want anything in return. I love to sit back, watch them at work and marvel at their goodness. I love you both.

Until next time...
Love,
Me.

No comments: