Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Update

Once again, this was sent out as a mass email to most of you to let you know what has been going on. If you've already received this, feel free to skip this entry.

I appreciate everyone and their kind well wishes. I can't tell you enough how much that has meant to me. I feel so blessed to have all of you in my life!

I apologize if you've called and for one reason or another I haven't called back. I've put my husband in charge of the phone and the details and as many of you know, he is a man of very few words. The medication they have given me puts me to sleep so quickly that it's hard to tell what day or time it is.

I know it's not much, but here's an update so far:
After visiting the Urologist and then the Radiologist, we've discussed all of the options. I am lucky in a lot of ways that the stone is staying for the most part in my kidney. My bouts of sickness (headache, backache, vomiting, fever) last only for a few hours and have become a little more frequent. That means that the body is beginning to reject the stone and will be soon trying to permanently remove it.

For that process, they've decided to "blast" the kidney with a laser (much like an ultrasound) and break it up into smaller pieces. The likelihood of those smaller pieces being small enough to pass is very small so they will also surgically add a stint to my kidney hoping that the stone then will pass through the larger stint as opposed to the urethra.

What that means is that I have to be monitored (though I have the go ahead to work to return to work promising to take it easy and not be too active) on a weekly basis, as well as be put on a waiting list for the stint surgery. It's a quick, outpatient procedure and not too bad. The only problem is that there is a growing number of people suffering from kidney stones and if another patient is worse off than the first, they'll get the surgery first. I think of it sort of as being "on call". With the tests I took today they will determine where the stone is exactly and how close it is to trying to pass. That then, will determine where in line I am for the much needed surgery.

The doctor warned be about activity, he worries that I will cause it to pass (before they add the stint) by my lifestyle. He jokingly asked if my husband took out the trash (thank heavens that was a resounding "YES!") because that was even a no-no on my list right now. Good thing he already takes good care of me. I'm not worried at all.

So for me, what that means is that I take it one day at a time, knowing that at any moment I may need to have the stint surgery. I'm hoping that it works according to their plan (after all this is their area of expertise) and praying for the best. I am ecstatic about returning to work (I feel a bit like a sleeping zombie who has cabin fever) and church and activities, promising to take it slow!

Once again, thank you to all of those who called, left notes, dinners and offered prayers. I know that it's because of you that things have worked out so smoothly and I truly am grateful. If there is ever anything I can do for you, never hesitate to ask!

Take care and I hope to see you all soon!

No comments: