Monday, June 15, 2009

Ode to Sulphur

Well, I feel like this is the beginning. I know I should feel like it's the end, but I'm willing myself to think positive and talk myself into believing it's just the beginning. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't deal well with change.

Today I officially cleaned out and checked out of my classroom. These 4 little walls have been a safe-haven, an investigation chamber and a place of learning (for me more than the students). I can remember the first day my principal (then Mrs. Meyers) took me way out to the back end of the school. I walked out past the office, past the library, waved goodbye to the bathrooms, past the playground, past the track and there I was. I thought to myself, maybe this'll be what I need to get myself back into shape. I bet I walk a mile a day just heading to the office and the bathroom. Sadly, that was not the case as many of you know, the age-old adage of the "Freshman 15" doubles when you come to Sulphur Springs School.

With treats every Friday, birthdays on Wednesday and sometimes just food because it's Monday, I not only gained the "Freshman 15" but added the "Sophmore 2o", "Junior 25" and now "Senior 30". Ah but it was worth it!

So for me, because I don't do well with change, this is just going to be a temporary-see-you-soon sort of a deal. I can't imagine my life without teaching and can't imagine where I'd be without my home-away-from-home, Sulphur Springs (I think I'd be about 30 pounds lighter that's for sure!)

Until then, dear Sulphur Springs, I'll always have you in my heart. I'll also always have our school song in my head (I love it! It has now become my personal happy song!)

Much love!

"Up in the mornin', the early mornin',
down to the bus stop, backpacks a-bulgin'
put on a smile, we go to Sulphur Springs School.
Put on a smile and make it la-a-a-st,
please Mr. Driver just get there fa-a-a-st,
We've got the teachers, we've got the school,
Sulphur Springs, ya it really is cool!"

No comments: