
Who knew? Who knew there was so much out there! My dear friends Heather and Ruthie are throwing a school-luncheon/shower for me this week and I have been instructed that I need to register for all things baby before then.
I decided against taking my husband with me. Can you imagine? "What type of stroller should we get, Honey?" "I don't know. Something with wheels. How much stuff do babies need anyway?" No offense my love, but you can happily sit this one out.
I went to only two stores and had a headache after the first 15 minutes. I thought, Oh, what fun! Looking at all the cute little baby things and scanning with my gun! I found out shortly (as I walked to an isle full of bottles and bottles only. Tall bottles, short bottles, air vent bottles, self-warming bottles...the list went on and on!) I was immediately overwhelmed, but soon (with the help of my sister-in-law's list and my best friend Joni), we conquered.
All I could think was, What if I get the wrong thing? What if I register for something I'll hate or- worse yet- the baby will hate? As I tend to stress myself out and worry (it's a good sign I'm still pregnant!), I have to literally take a break. So I did just that! I found a chair (have you ever sat in a "Glider Rocker"?)
and stared at the (stocked to the ceiling) walls of baby items. I didn't even venture into the diaper or formula isle. I thought my head and my heart had enough for one day.Needless to say, I walked away with mixed feelings. First and foremost was the feeling of inadequacy: Not knowing if everything on my list would be enough. Not knowing if everything on my list would be too much. Next was the overwhelming feeling of confusion: Did I choose the right bootle/pacifier? Should I have chosen the organic onsies over the cotton ones? And then last was the feeling of excitement: When it all comes together and the baby is home, diapers or no diapers (scratch that; let's choose something else) - stroller or no stroller, it is going to be a grand adventure.
After registering at Target and Babies-R-Us, I needed some area that I knew well. I decided to head to the bookstore. Ah. My Utopia. This time I intened to bring my hubby as this was an area where I welcomed his response. As father's day is coming up, I wanted to find picture books he wanted to read to the baby (and when he starts to grow into a little tyke). Literature is so much of my life and I want our baby to have that joy as well, so I'm starting young.
It was a joy to see Chase (was he putting on a show just for me?) acting just like a kid in the children's book isle as he searched out books from his childhood. Among them were (of course), "Harold and the Purple Crayon", "Couderoy", and "Goodnight Moon". I found one about a boy's cowboy adventure, a sweet story about a bear and his Papa and lastly a book on dinosaurs. It's going to be a switch thinking in "Boy-Mode" for a bit as we've had so many girls come along.So, with half of my pregnancy to go, we're going to keep on baking this "Little Turkey" (his nickname when we first thought he was due around Thanksgiving) and crossing our fingers that we'll have everything we need by the time he gets here. Well, we'll have a bed, a home and a whole lot of love. That may just have to be enough for the little guy for a while.
I can't wait.
Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment