Tuesday, August 15, 2017

First Day of School 2017

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!!"

Can you smell it?  The first day of school always smells different to me.  Even when I taught public school, the smell of new pencils and boxes, new haircuts and fresh ideas.  It's almost palpable! 



I personally love getting ready for a new school year.  I love organizing, color coding and laminating.  It just does something to my soul.  Even though I know that in a few short months (or even weeks) it will all be thrown into the chaos and real life will begin, I still think it's important to stop and make these moments special.  


I feel that as a homeschooling family, it’s very important for us to celebrate these milestones, like the first and last day of school.  It helps us not only turn our “School brains” on, but it helps to see how much they grow in just a few short months.  

Before class started, we had our morning devotional, completed our family service and then sent the kids off to finish their personal chores, say their personal prayers, brush their teeth and get themselves dressed.   It may sound trivial to some, but for us it has taken us a while to get to this point.  


Once our jobs were completed and everyone was ready, we went outside to take our traditional first day pictures in front of the door.  This is just something we’ve done for every birthday, as well as the first and last day of school.  I don't know how or why it started, but it still continues on even after 5 kids.  


I absolutely love taking these photos! I can see years from now looking back at these photos and feeling my heart swell.  This photo of Cash will remind me that he was just a tiny newborn when we first started Preschool for Kurt, and tot-school for the twins.  How he’s always been there on the first day of school for pictures, but this is his first picture holding his own sign.  


He has been waiting for this day for so long! He corrects me if I ever include him in with the “little kids” and he can often be overheard saying, “I’m not little! I’m a big boy!” As much as I don’t want to admit it, he’s right and it’s probably time I face that fact. 


This little animal is the one I’m most worried about.  He does not like having to share my attention and as previously shown, has been known to get into loads of trouble when I’m not watching.  It’ll be a miracle if he and I both survive this year.  

I can’t believe the twins are in 1st grade! Even though they started their tot-school the same time Kurt started Preschool, I still see them as much younger than him (a problem I can see I might need to remedy).  Last year they grew so much- in school and physically!

I almost don’t want them to start 1st grade, because that means it’s real and that my sweet little preemie babies are really, truly in school.  Now it’s only a few more years before they graduate and are out on their own. It’s all happening too fast!


I think I may be most excited for Ava this year.  When we left off last year in Kindergarten, she had just gotten used to knowing all of her letter names and sounds, and she had even started working on a few blends.  I can feel it in my bones that this is HER year.  I have a feeling I’ll look back on this year as the one where she really took off!

I love this beautiful princess and am so excited for the things life has in store for her!

 


Vance looks too grown up to just be in 1st grade.  Even though staying inside and sitting is hard for him, I am proud of the steps he takes in this own learning.  This year will be different for him, in that he will have a lot more responsibility in his own assignments and won’t have mom there helping him decide what to do next.  It’ll be a challenge at first, but I know he’s up for it!

He loves a challenge and I love to see him try something hard, even if he doesn’t succeeded. He’s a true leader and I can’t wait to see how he uses his leadership qualities for good!

Even though he devours books and magazines, this kid is only in 2nd grade.  I have to keep reminding myself of that when I expect him to get something right away.  Besides reading, he really likes math- but really only when he understands it.  His brain really likes science and even if he won’t admit it to anyone else, he’s a bit of a history buff and I love that about him!


This year is also going to be a bit of a challenge for Kurt because his work load about doubles in size.  Once again, it’s going to be a challenge and one we’ve discussed at length before today.  I know he’s up for the challenge, even if he doesn’t know it yet. 


Happy new school year, my little Shillig Scholars.  
Keep reaching, keep growing.  

I'll be right there beside you.  
And when summer comes, we'll be singing once again, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"











No comments: