Years ago, when people heard that we were a homeschooling family, I would always cringe when they'd say, "But where do they get their social opportunities?" Now- I feel like times have changed. Homeschooling is no longer a four letter word that you have to whisper in secret. On the contrary- I have met so many wonderful families; some just like us and some so totally different, all with the same goal. To take charge of their children's education and experience life TOGETHER.
There are SO many activities out there for us that I find us often having to turn down social engagements because we have TOO much going on.
Some of those things are part of our homeschool co-op and some from our family activities.
The other day we had a fun "Fear Factor" homeschool co-op activity. The kids loved hanging out with their friends we see at park days and this was no exception.
The only difference was that this park day had a theme- mostly things that made your skin crawl. Things like snakes,
Edible Brains (they were yummy!)
And...well...you can read for yourself. I however did NOT sample these.
Though I heard they were nice. I just couldn't.
The kids had a blast playing the "shark" game (simply put, it was bobbing for donuts- but the name made it sound more exciting!)
There was bobbing for gummy worms (in a bowl full of cool whip),
and seeing how long they could stand reaching their hand into the pumpkin and pulling out gooey guts and candy.
Mummy wrapping competition.
And more cool whip.
Among all of the extra curricular activities, we still have work we have to do at home. The kids came up with these 3D ideas and we stopped what we were doing to make them happen.
This kids is loving reading. Once he gets going, he just doesn't want to stop (and I don't either!)
We've also started karate as a family. It's more physical work than our yoga classes, and the discipline is just what some of us need.
Even sparing takes on a whole new meaning when it's with your brothers and sister.
"Sir! Kata Ichi"
Along with karate, Ava also started a ballet class. She is in class with two of her friends from her primary class and she can hardly wait each week for Thursday to come around. They have a recital coming up in December and she just about combusts with excitement each time they talk about it.
Some of our homeschool activities are "out of this world" like when we all met with the Astronomy club from the college. Their telescopes alone were reason enough to go! We saw the craters on the moon, the rings around Saturn and even watched as the International Space Station passed right over us. It helps to have homeschool friends with great connections!
Homeschool brings times like this Friday when after saying for the umpteenth time, "A B is made by making a bat and then a ball. To make a D, eat a donut and then stand tall." I decided against any more inside work and went to get some reinforcements. We took our Donuts to the park and wrote the letter d in sprinkles, then "ate our donuts and then stood tall."
Dd is for donuts! Now, hopefully that helps the Kindergartner remember how to write/read his Ds and Bs. If not- it was sure a yummy experiment.
School also means reading logs. The kids each have a reading log of 100 books (the big boys with 60 chapter books). Once they finish, they get to go on a special date with either Mom or Dad. Sometimes its to the store to pick out a special toy. Or to lunch at their favorite restaurant.
Once Ava finished her 100 reading log, I promised her a special outing. I surprised her with dinner and then a show at Tuachaun, her favorite- Cinderella. It was a fun night with my favorite girl!
School also means Family Free Writes. Every week, we sit down together, turn the timer on and write anything that's in our brain. Some of the kids write letters, some scribbles and others write stories or lists that are in their brain. It becomes one of our favorite family activities and the kids beg to do them over and over. I loved Kurt's free write this week and just had to share.
School also means afternoons of Science and History together. As you can see, the kids keep every moment interesting.
Whether we are in the classroom, at a homeschool co-op activity or on a field trip somewhere, our life is anything but "un-socical"!































No comments:
Post a Comment