Saturday, February 23, 2019

Ava and Vance's Baptism


8 years ago as I was sitting in the NICU holding these two babies, I often daydreamed about this day. About a day without tubes and ventilators and stress and anxiety.  When they would run free and laugh together. 

Though the stress and anxiety have changed (not gone away- just exchanged for different worries), those worrisome days are long gone.  Today as we got ready to watch them each enter the waters of baptism, I find myself flashing back to that day in the NICU filled with concern and I just want to reach out to myself and say, "Hold on! That day will come. Just keep loving them and praying for them.  It will all work out."



And so, here we are.  We are lucky that Vance's best friend from the neighborhood, Levi was baptized at the same time.  It was a very special time for the three of them, and I hope that they will always remember it.  







I know it won't be long before they're growing even older. They'll start to drive, start to date, even serve missions.  I'm trying so hard to snapshot this time.  To keep it close in my heart and memory.  Looking at Vance, I can see him as a missionary.  So eager, so willing and so happy. 


And Ava I can see being a mom.  Taking care of others and taking great happiness in the success of others. 


We were lucky enough to have so many of Chase's family with us at the baptism.  


Such handsome boys!

Both of the twins asked their Dad to baptize them, and their Grandpa Kurt to confirm them.  





The day went so quickly.  The primary kids sang the song, "The Miracle" and once again the words they sang brought with them so much power and spirit it was almost palpable. 


Afterwards, the primary presidency were kind enough to bring pillowcases for everyone there to sign.  It is a fun tradition.  The kids have really enjoyed reading their little notes on their pillows to remind them of this special day. 






When the kids were baptized, I was taken back by how much peace and joy were in the room.  They begged to get to sit on the stairs of the font while the other one was baptized.  Standing there, with Ava going first, as soon as Dad said her middle name (Dessie) I immediately felt a rush of emotion and excitement.  

I knew without seeing with my eyes that my grandma Dessie was there.  And more than that, there were others.  Many others!  For a brief second I wondered who else was there with us and it hit me- THEIR family.  Their own kids were there witnessing and rejoicing in this momentous occasion.  
Once again as they were confirmed and as Grandpa Kurt called their middle names, Dessie and Rodney, I knew so many of our family that had gone before and those who will come again were there with us.  What a special gift to receive on this very special day.

Once we arrived home, the kids went straight for the dessert table.  The twins had requested donuts and milk for the luncheon.  I was only happy to oblige. 



I wish I would have taken more photos of the day, but I was busy just enjoying my family.  


We are proud of you both. Thank you for being good examples to us.  For being so worthy of the spirit that heaven's angels would do everything they could to be there to support you.  We are lucky to have you in our family and we're glad you chose us as yours.  

Happy baptism day, our wonderful Twinners!

No comments: