Saturday, April 3, 2010

5 Month Firsts!

Wow! Almost 1/2 year of this little one. I can't believe it!
Here are only a few of the firsts Baby Kurt has accomplished in the few short days since he's turned 5 months old.

#1- Standing! (with help)
This kid since he was only a few weeks old loves to stand. As soon as you hold him up, his little boisterous legs pounce up and down urging to helping him stand. So naturally, he would LOVE this little pod of activity. I had to put the legs up higher because he doesn't "bounce". He simply stands. Adding to the look of a miniature little man.
#2- Playing Peek-A-Boo. Mere days ago this game was a moot point. He didn't get it. There is something about hanging toys that adds to the drama of the activity apparently, because this seems to get the biggest reaction.

#3- Swimming!
Yes folks, he's officially a swimmer. He loves the tub and the shower so I knew he'd love the pool. He also loves his cousin Layton, so that's an added bonus.


I climbed in too (only with rolled up jeans and wading in the shallow end). That's the closest I'm getting to a swimming suit at this point.

#4- Nubbies
He loves his nubbies. Basically they're any toy small enough for him to grasp and that he can gnaw on. He even likes to take them two-at-a-time. Show off.
Only one problem....
He hasn't quite mastered the art of working his hands to his benefit. He often looses his nubby somewhere (namely his face) and is unable to get it off without help. Sad that I run for my camera before I aid my child in distress. Oh well. It'll toughen him up.
#5- Sitting! Again, with help but I'm counting it anyway!
Aunt Veva's bed happens to be a water bed so practicing sitting seems to be unproductive. That, my friends, is where our friend The Boppy comes in. He loves it.
It enables him to sit and chat, look around, read books with his Mama and once again, resemble a little inquisitive man.
#6- Grasping
Look closely. Here he demonstrates the two-handed, double grasp. In the right hand is Marvin the Martian. This is a favorite of his as it vibrates on the way up. He just can't figure out why in the world Marvin can't reach his mouth. Use your core baby. A few sit ups and this will be a no-brainer!

And in the left hand is the rolling Einstein ball (otherwise known as the "ADD Ball"). He loves this and often reaches out for it to keep it close to him. Thanks Rachel!
#7- Shopping in the cart (as opposed to the silly car seat). This is a day I've waited for! Truth be told, I may have jumped the gun just a bit as he's not quite as sturdy as I'd like. This may have to be a once in a while kind of a thing until he gets better at sitting. He starts out fine...
But soon something distracts him (yes, I did secure in the nubby next to him. And yes, I did disinfect both him and the toy upon arriving home). Call me crazy.
#8- Sleeping on his back
As most of you know, I unabashedly went against the rule book and placed him on his tummy to sleep since he was a few weeks old. I couldn't believe the difference that it made for him. After about a month he was still sleeping 11-12 hours a night and has continued that until recently.

It's almost like when he learned to roll that his little body said, "What?! I can move?! Why in the world am I wasting my time taking a siesta?" Within seconds of laying him down, he'd immediately be awake as the promise of sleep flies out the window.

So for me, the only solution was to place him on his back. Which, I know seems like a good idea in theory. Case in point; here is the sweet little chap lost in sweet slumber while in the pack-and-play at Grandma's. So sweet, right?
Until you look from the right side and see in fact his is smashed up against the side and completely off the small mattress inside. Yes! That's the crib bowing in the middle. And yet he sleeps. Mom and I turn the light on to gawk and giggle; yet he sleeps. I run to get my camera (I know, once is funny. Twice, I may have a problem); yet he sleeps. Sleep well my love, sweet dreams.
#9- Kisses
I never said they were clean kisses. These are slobbery, soak-your-shirt kind of a smooch. It started a few weeks ago when I'd say, "May I have a kiss?" As I get closer, his mouth opens and when I kiss him it makes a boisterous harmonic sound. His smile gets bigger and this goes on for kiss after super-slobbery kiss.

Apparently he thinks that since it's so fun with his Mama, he should start spreading the love. Literally. I'm not so sure others truly love his slobber as much as I do. Here is Brookie loving on him and giggling at his wet kisses. Funny that she hates dogs but loves baby drool. Go figure.



#10- Riding the trike tandem
Bubba Grump loves anyone who'll entertain him. On this day it happened to be his sweet cousin Hailey. She rode him around their 6x6 square of patio. You would've thought it was the Indie 500. He was lovin it! Thanks, Sissy for making his day.
Loving this boy. Love the spirit he brings int our home and how somehow he has single-handedly brought his dad and I more love, laughter and closeness than we've ever had before. Thank you for that.

No comments: