Monday, February 7, 2011

Playground Pals


Heaven.

That's what I feel when I'm with my family.
When I was in the hospital, if you asked about my son (Kurt), I'd tear up and realize just how much I've missed him. I've been on bedrest since December, and usually would delight in the fact that I don't have to really even lift a finger around here. I found that it was quite the opposite, however. I felt the separation from The Boy quite severely and acutely.
I love that he and his dad take many "adventures". One morning when I was VERY pregnant, I woke up to a note hanging in the hall (I think he wanted to make SURE I saw it!) that read, "Good morning, Mama. Me and the boy took a little trip to The Trout Amateur Store. Rest a lot, we'll see you later. We love you!" It wasn't until 1/2 hour later I was in the shower and I realized that, "Trout Amateur Store" was Chase language for "Bass Pro Shop" (who gave that boy a thesaurus?). I laughed a little & then realized the closest one was in Las Vegas, about 2 hours away. I did stress a little bit, but my husband knows me too well. Throughout the day he sent me "proof of life" photos. Notice the pajamas at 4pm, and no shoes or socks. Just one happy boy out with his dad.

They are such good friends and you can see the love they have each other very clearly. For me, that meant that they were gone during the day, only to return right as The Boy was ready (and Dad was even more ready) for his nap. He'd wake up, I'd hug and kiss him, and they'd be off again. I felt like a piece of me was slowing ripping away.

I know so much of my emotions are due to the massive amounts of hormones raging through my body, but coming home from the hospital, I couldn't even get the words out when I first walked in and saw him. My poor mom and husband must think I'm a total mess and wonder what in the world they're going to do with an emotional basket-case.

So that is why today I'm feeling that little piece of heaven. I've been out of the hospital for two days and starting to feel like I can walk and shower and resemble a human being. It is possible, though for a while there I wasn't so sure.
Chase and The Boy were down at the park when I returned from feeding the kiddos this afternoon. I walked (and when I say walked I mean shuffled) down to meet them and get out in the sunshine. There is a period of time right after school that our neighborhood little park is crawling with kids. Chase loves to go down there with The Boy and the dog around that time and now I knew why.




The girls just adore Kurt. Even though to some of them, he is 1/2 their size, they suddenly become little mother hens and we have not two sets of hands, but many of them holding him, pushing him on the swings and basically just toting him all around.

I love to watch his face as he looks at these girls, gets this little silly grin (like, "I know I'm the only boy in this swarm of pretty little faces"). It just cracks me up.



Days like these remind me that it's good to be alive. It's good to be me.

I love my family (all 4 of them!) and still feel like the luckiest girl in the world (even if I am an emotional wreck!)

No comments: