Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Very Happy Homecoming!



2 Weeks
14 Days
336 Hours
20,160 Minutes
1,209,600 Seconds

The time to come home has finally arrived.
The twins passed their car seat test, they showed the doctors that they could eat on their own, their feeding tubes were pulled and in one day we were taking the steps to discharge them from the NICU.
It's funny how my attitude about them being here has changed from the first day to today. I originally saw it as such a horrible thing. I cried and cried the first few days. Now however, as I reflect back on their growth, their progress, even the time I had to rest up and spend some much needed time with my son again, I can see the wisdom in it.

They originally seemed so tiny to me. 5 pounds was just so frail and fragile. Then, as I saw the other babies in the NICU who were truly the fragile ones, these two seemed so big and strong. When they both began to lose weight (as all babies do the first week they're born-however it's scary when they're already just so small), I was timid and scared to hold them and change them. I was so happy this morning when they had both (one of the reasons we're allowed to go home today) reached their original birth weight.

That evening, I called my mom who was at home with The Boy and told her to get ready because we were on our way. I really wasn't sure how Kurt would react. He's such a chill kid and loves babies. I just wasn't sure he'd care for these babies when they were in his space, screaming all night and changing his world forever.
When we walked in, he noticed Ava right away. I think it's because he's never seen that amount of pink in his life! He smiled real big when he saw her squirm and just couldn't stop peeking in at her in her seat.


With Vance, he was in awe. Chase took him out of his car seat and Kurt's face just lit up. It seemed like he just wanted to investigate his new little brother.

He checked out his teeny tiny feet and legs...
Gave him kisses...
Kurt loved that his little hand was all stretched out and took a moment to give his new little brother high fives...
And now we know they're going to be the best of friends because right away Kurt gave Vance "knuckles"...and that he only saves for those he loves the most!It's going to be an adjustment.
That I know.
Tonight as I looked at them in their little bouncers, they seemed to be adjusting.
Vance seemed to say, "What did I get myself into?"
While Ava sighed, "Is it always going to be this loud?"
It's my goal to make sure that our schedules stay the same, that Kurt feels secure and stable and that this new adventure involves all of us. Together. As a family.


Before I put Kurt down to bed this evening, I was feeding Ava. He was just so intrigued. It's got to be hard with all of this new information you don't know what to do with. When it came time to supplement the baby with a bottle (Dr.'s orders today until they start gaining weight better), Kurt just had to help. He kept signing "please" and saying, "Up. Mama. Up". How in the world am I going to do this?
I'm realizing that with one lap, only two hands, and three kids- this is going to be tricky.
I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who (for some reason) trusts me enough to do this.
I'm grateful for a patient, loving and amazing husband who helps me do this, who loves all three kids and who is more than I could have ever hoped for.

I love my life. Even though I may not always show it. I'm tired, but full of joy. I'm nervous, but hopeful. I hope that years from now I can look back on this time and say with all honesty that I truly enjoyed this time and that watching my family grow was one of the happiest times of my life.





No comments: