Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Letter of Love

When I was growing up, “Grandma” wasn’t just a term of endearment for someone distant and far away; rather, it was a name we were privileged to hear every day. Having Grandma around growing up proved well for me. I was told that while serving in the Stake Relief Society, she took me as a toddler to Sunday meetings she had- some lasting all day. She still to this day attributes that to the way I turned out. Little does she know that it had nothing to do with the meetings, and everything to do with her.

Grandma had a way of making even dull things exciting for us kids. She dressed chores up by reciting poems, telling stories, and singing to make the time go faster. She could be overheard singing, “Yellow-Headed-Pikanini” while folding clothes and “Count Your Many Wrinkles” while doing the dishes. Still, "Que Sera Sera" will be my favorite lullaby that brings a peace to my soul the moment I hear her voice in my head.

She quietly instilled in us a better way of behaving. She taught us that to earn respect you have to give respect. She often quoted the golden rule as well as lived it wen we saw her take care of old friends and make many new ones with her book clubs, walking group and square dancing. Grandma had such an effect on me growing up that one day in utter frustration, my mother said to me, “Jamie- you better be nice to me. I’m the only mother you have.” Obviously confused by that statement, I stated matter-of-factually, “No you’re not. I have a Grand-mother!”

Grandma’s influence impacted me more than she could ever know. When I was in first grade she announced that she’d be leaving our little family (she’d been with us since I was born) to serve a mission. It was then that the missionary seed was planted in me and continued to grow prominently after that. It was she that I thought of as I prepared for my mission, served in the MTC and loved the people in Canada.

My “Grandma-Memories” are some of the best memories I have. I remember when she lived a few blocks from the St. George Temple when she was serving there. Our walks were always filled with stories and principles taught by our loving Grandma as she bore her testimony of the importance of the temple and her love for the work done within.

It was there on our many temple walks that Grandma would explain in our terms what the temple was for and how someday we’d take our place within and carry on the work she so lovingly worked for. It was on one of those times that Grandma, explaining about the rooms of the temple, pointed to the circular windows on the North side of the temple and said, “Someday you’ll be in one of those rooms and kneel across from the man who will become your husband. There you’ll promise to love and take care of each other not just for this life, but for the eternities to come.” When that day came, it meant the world to me that I was in that room, and she was there looking on.

Grandma, you will always be the driving force in my life for good. Thank you for all of the lessons you taught; by your words and by your example. You have shaped my life into something I can be proud of. I have been so blessed that I sometimes feel undeserving of all the good I have around me. My hope is to someday pass on the eternal legacy of your life and your goodness for generations to come. We are all blessed to have you in our lives. I love you more today than I ever thought possible.


You will be in my life, my thoughts and my heart forever.

Emma Dessie Reber ~ 1917-2011

Rest in Peace. Finally.
We love you.

No comments: