Today was my wonderful Grandma's funeral. I have never laughed or cried so much at one funeral. It was beautiful! We told jokes (so true to grandma's nature!), sang songs (the grandaughters tearfully sang "Que Sera Sera" I know many of us felt like we were all 12 years old again, standing at the sink doing dishes and signing this at the top of our lungs), and loved being together.
It made my heart happy to see cousins that I haven't had the pleasure to see in years (how does time take that away from us?). I'm so proud of my family. I looked around today and thought to myself, "There isn't a person in this room I'm not extremely proud to associate myself with". That, in and of itself is a true testament of who my grandma was. She was beautiful, caring, and resoundingly happy.
A few days after I had the babies, I went to see her. I wanted to tell her of my own little "Dessie" and how all of my life I knew Grandma had to live until I had a little girl and could name her after the person who almost single-handedly shaped me into the person, friend, and mother I am today. I wasn't able to bring the babies (they were in the NICU, and then when they were out, she was quite ill). When I asked her how she was doing, she said, "Well. I've got one foot in the grave and they won't take the other one". I know the last few years for her were hard. We saw it in her face, heard it in her voice, and on more than one occasion I got a peek into just how badly she wanted to move on as she said her nightly prayers. As my Aunt Stephanie said, "We are sad for ourselves but so happy for her". We realize we want her here for our own selfish reasons. After all of the pain and agony, she still made us smile and lightened the mood.
We were lucky to have known her, to have her in our life. We are better to be able to call her Grandma. We are who we are because of her legacy. We love you Grandma Dess!
"Que Sera Sera"
When I was just a little girl, I asked my Grandma, "What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me, "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que Sera Sera. What will be will be."
When I was just a child in school, I asked my teacher, "What should I try? Should I paint pictures? Should I sing songs?" This was her wise reply, "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que Sera Sera. What will be will be."
When I grew up and fell in love, I asked my sweetheart, "What lies ahead? Will we have rainbows day after day? Here's what my sweetheart said, "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que Sera Sera. What will be will be."
Now I have children of my own, they ask their mother, "What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" I tell them tenderly, "Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que Sera Sera. What will be will be."
No comments:
Post a Comment