Friday, August 26, 2016

Exploding Science

What do you get when you add a bunch of excited little scientists with baking soda, 
vinegar and a ziplock baggie?....

Our Hypothesis: Exploding Science! 



To kick off our science for the year I wanted to help them 1- Get excited about science, 2- Think Like a Scientist, and 3- Learn a little about the scientific method through a hands on experience.  

We gathered our supplies and I had the kids write their names and draw a picture of each ingredient  inside their science journals.  Once we filled our ziplock bags with vinegar and food coloring, they started to get really excited.  For whatever reason, every time I mentioned the word "baggie", they giggled like little school girls.  Still, days later I can't even mention the word "baggie" or they start all over with a fit full of giggles.  

We took our baggies ("giggle, giggle") outside and one by one we dropped a little baking soda into a wad of toilet paper, shook it up and stepped away.  As it started to bubble, the kids ran back but soon found the POP! wasn't too loud and with each new baggie ("giggle, giggle") they inched closer and closer.  


Pretty soon they were begging to put even more baking soda in and we found that when we did, the time between the first shake and the POP! got shorter and shorter.  They loved that! 



They loved their Exploding Baggies ("giggle, giggle") and wanted to try them over and over.  

Our conclusion: SCIENCE IS FUN!!!




No comments: