All day today, I've had the song "Defying Gravity" stuck in my head.
Around lunch time I couldn't figure out why it was playing in my head and then it hit me-
it was because in our science lesson today I surprised the kids by telling them I could defy gravity.
We've been learning about magnets and as we talk about the magnetic field, I wanted to show them just how strong the field could be, even without touching the magnet.
One quick look on Pinterest, and there you have it folks-
A jaw dropping 5 minute experiment!
I let them each take turns setting it up (spacing out the lego towers, laying the magnet down flat, and then getting the string and tape at just the right height. The boys took it a little further (yay!) and wanted to see what would happen if they placed their fingers in between the paper clip and the magnet.
They played with it over and over. Trying new configurations. Trying to disrupt the magnetic field. It is so much fun hearing them talk, using the key vocabulary and just getting excited about science.
And that, my friends is how you defy gravity- in 5 minutes or less!
And thank you Elpahaba for the amazing song to add to the soundtrack in my head.
No comments:
Post a Comment