Friday, October 7, 2016

Lighting our Learning

In school we have been learning about electricity.
Today we had a guest come and show us a circuit in action. 
Luckily- we know a guy!



Once again, I am grateful for the good books we have at our disposal.  I couldn't imagine trying to get these types of ideas across without them (or YouTube!).  They sure make teaching much more fun and easy. 



I asked Dad to come in during lunch and show us a few things about a working circuit.  The kids have learned about open and closed circuits, but I wanted them to see one in action, as well as manipulate a switch. 


As always, Dad was a great teacher!  He not only asked them higher order thinking skill questions, but he even likened the current of light and electricity to ourselves and our spirits.  He wanted the kids to see that when they choose the right and keep the commandments, the power of God is able to continually flow through their bodies.  It's when they choose to disobey that the circuit opens and we are unable to receive that light. It reminded me that I need to be better at this type of teaching every day! 


They helped Dad create a circuit and I smiled as I heard them talk about the plastic covering on the wires as the insulators and about the electricity flowing like cars on a highway, going down the wires, through the light and back to the battery pack.  

Well, what do ya know- they DO listen! 



They were so excited to manipulate the light on and off.  

Dad once again saw the opportunity to talk to them about Light and how when it is present, the darkness goes away.  The kids right away knew that Jesus was the light and that Satan was the dark.  They loved when Dad turned off the lights and it was so dark, but when he turned the light back on, the darkness couldn't stay.  Just like when we make sure that we are only allowing goodness and light into our lives, it chases the darkness out! 


After that, we looked around for some materials we could use to create a switch.  I love that Dad is so good at this stuff!  I often feel like I am doing them a disservice on the science end of the school spectrum, but with him as my partner, I feel like they're getting an exceptional education! 


And there you have it- our battery, our wires, light source and now switch. They couldn't wait to try it!


Closed circuit-



Open circuit-


Closed again! 

At the end of the lesson, the kids each took turns explaining how the electricity was able to flow.  Ava even said that when the circuit was closed, it was like a bridge closing so that the cars could go through again.  



And that, my friends, is what you call a successful science lesson.  
Thanks Dad for being our expert advisor. 
You really "light up our lives"!


SaveSave

No comments: