Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Static Electricity

While we dive into our electricity unit, I wanted to divide up the two types of electricity and spend some time just on static electricity.  Whenever you hear "static electricity" what do you think of?  I immediately think of balloons and wild hair.  Today I was very glad for Ava's long, (sometimes unruly) hair, because that's just what I needed to get the point across. 


The boys tried their best, but without so much hair, they were no match for their sister. 



Is Bubba working on balancing a balloon on his head- or practicing his mediation for yoga? 


After giving our balloons an electric charge, I wanted to show them how static electricity could act just like a magnet. Once their balloons were powered up with an electric charge, we made little tissue ghosts and butterflies that we rubbed with a cloth, giving them an opposite electric charge. 


By doing this, we were then able to lift our little ghosts off of the page, just with our balloons- and not even touching them! It worked!  


Of course what they remember the most (and enjoyed the most) naturally the balloon.  The rest of our science period was spent then playing with more and more balloons, and more and more hair! 





Even Baby Grant got into it after his nap.  




Remind me if I ever need a cheap babysitter- a bag of balloons and a lot of static electricity and I'll be set! 

No comments: