Sunday, December 25, 2016

A Sabbath Christmas

I absolutely love when Christmas falls on a Sunday.  It puts everything into perspective and we get to keep that quiet peace with us all day.  This morning the kids were up bright and early. 

Like tradition calls for, they wait upstairs until everyone is awake and then meet on the stairs for a picture.  I love this because they can't see what santa brought and the anticipation nearly does them in.  It’s fun to see and I always seem to get blurry pictures because no one could sit still!


Because church was at 9 am, we decided not to open any gifts before leaving- they could just see and play with what Santa leaves out for them.  I love watching them first walk down the stairs.  They walk a little slowly, taking in everything in the room and (quietly) looking for their stockings that Santa leaves next to their loot. 



The other part I love is watching how excited they are for each other! This year Santa brought Cash a pretty cool train table and everyone wanted to be with him while he played with it.  Those are the parts of this day that I will keep tucked away, in a special corner of my heart.





The other reason I love a Sabbath Christmas is the fact that we get to go to church- but just for the first hour.  This year Santa heard Ava’s plea for a baby doll and a diaper bag and while we were getting ready for church, she couldn’t bare to leave her home.  She gasped, “But Mom! I can't leave her here all alone! She will be so scared without me and I don’t want her to cry!” I looked at chase and then I saw him do something I never thought i’d see him do- he said, “You’re right, Sis.  You can’t leave your baby here without her Mama! Grab her diaper bag and let’s go!” And then he added, “But there’s only one rule- If she gets fussy you have to let me hold her.  I'm pretty good with babies!” She was more than happy to oblige as she carefully cradled the wee infant in her arms and trotted off to the car.  


As we walked into the chapel, she received a few remarks on her baby (she looks very real!) and to which she replied, “Thanks.  She’s my new baby.  I just got her.  But shhh! She’s sleeping.” The best part though was the fact that everyone on our row (including Grant) took turns carefully  holding her and gently burped her as we sat and enjoyed the services.  

Once we got back from sacrament meeting, I laughed to see the kids scurry back to get into their new pajamas and right back to the business of opening presents. There were only a few for each to open so we took our time and watched as each one took great care to see what was inside.  





We loved having Mema there.  We smiled when she told us yesterday that Jennifer had already given her their gift and was giddy when she saw a ticket to Disneyland inside.  Jennifer and john are going and paid for mom to go too.  We tried not to spoil it until Christmas morning when she opened our gift, only to find many more tickets and she realized we were coming too! 






This year Santa also got the kids each their own Native American flute.  Dad has collected a few this year and is learning to play.  The kids love his so much that Santa must have seen that and made them each a smaller version, and he even engraved their names on them!

I figured since chase now has even MORE flutes to carry as we hike and camp, that he needed a much better way to carry them to I made him a little carrying case where they can all fit in their own little slots and be protected.  Doesn’t he look so rugged and handsome with it slung carefully over his shoulder?


Once again this day has been one full of rest, love and an outpouring of the spirit.  I love Sabbath Christmas and I can’t until it comes around again.  

Merry Christmas, everyone!


No comments: