Monday, September 19, 2016

Involve Me!


I know I sound like a broken record when I say "I love homeschool!" But it's true.  I never tire of watching the kids take ownership of their own learning.  I love watching them learn something new and not only have the time to practice it in a safe environment, but they also get so many opportunities for growth.

Now before you get defensive, I know that is true for public school as well.  In a perfect society on a perfect day.  But I also know there is a dark side to that truth and it still haunts me to this day.  I can still recall the exact day when I was teaching a group of eager minded 5th graders about fractions.  It was a difficult subject and I had exhausted myself with bringing in mnemonics, fun games and even a rap/dance to try and get the point across.  

Then one inquisitive, wonderful boy raised his hand and said, "Miss Cox, can you teach us about using fractions in a circumference problem?" I knew this young man had a thirst for knowledge that with 32 other students in the room, I just could not keep up with.  My response was quick (a little too quick) and I quickly exclaimed, "No, Thomas I don't have time for that.  Circumference is a 6th grade standard and we just don't have time to get into that right now." 

I could see the immediate disappointment in his face.  I had taken the precious gift of a desire to learn  and plucked it right from his hand and tossed it aside.  I later announced to him and the class that whoever wanted to come in on their lunch time I'd be happy to give a quick little introduction on using fractions in circumference.  It was a pitiful attempt to get back the spark that I so desperately wanted to see again.  

So when my own kids ask a why question or have a desire to go deeper into a subject that isn't necessarily on our set of standards, I get almost giddy with excitement because- guess what?  I can!  And each time I do I think of Thomas and once again apologize to all of those students for all of those years that I had to say, "I'm sorry.  We just don't have time for that".  

Which brings me to our classroom.  When planning out the ideas for this tiny room, I knew I wanted to make it not only interactive, but I wanted it to be THEIRS.  I wanted them to be involved in their own learning and I'm still looking for ways to do this.  



Our "Morning Board" has taken many forms over the last few years.  When we first started Preschool, it was just a few posters taped to the wall.  Each year I try and think of ways they can make it their own.  This year, because money is a big standard, I've included a little piggy bank, complete with a money jar and pretend coins to play with. 


When deciding what I wanted, I knew I wanted something that they had to change everyday.  I wanted something that made them think.  The twins need to know the names of each coin and eventually the value of each.  Kurt knows those, so now he needs to manipulate coins to show that different sets of coins can all equal the same amounts.  So he keeps track of our Days in Money.  Each day he finds the value of coins that equals the number of days we've been in school.  


I love to see him come up with different combinations.  He was so excited to hit 15 days because that meant he got to use the nickel :) and he is counting down the days until we get to 50 days, just so he can use the $0.50 cent piece.  


He has even been known to sneak in later and change it for the next day.  I love his excitement!




Besides knowing the values of coins, the twins are working on place value of the ones and tens place (and eventually the hundreds), as well as learning and using tally marks, calendar work and deciphering and charting the weather.   It has been so fun to come in in the mornings and before I even have a chance to sit down and get started they're begging to do the board.  

I hope to find more ways throughout their lifetime to involve them so that they see education as a relative and extremely personal experience!

No comments: